Perseid Meteor SHower through Aug 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhaslett

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any shooting stars that others saw last night? Early eve-around 7:30 pm I saw a blue streak in the sky....

M

MeteorWayne

Re: 8/1/09 -shooting stars?

There are meteors every night, just more on some nights than others :)

C

crazyeddie

MeteorWayne":ygdm0gnx said:

Especially this month.....the Perseids peak on the night of the 12th, correct, Wayne?

M

MeteorWayne

crazyeddie":10dg4l17 said:
MeteorWayne":10dg4l17 said:

Especially this month.....the Perseids peak on the night of the 12th, correct, Wayne?

More or less, that's correct. The exact peak time varies from year to year so should occur sometime between the nights of 11th and 13.

C

CalliArcale

According to spaceweather.com, astronomers are expecting the peak around 0800-0900 UT the morning of August 12. The best viewing will likely be after sundown on August 11, though, because then you can look for earthgrazers before the half-full Moon comes up and brings its light pollution with it. There is also reportedly a good chance of a very nice shower, perhaps peaking at 200 meteors per hour.

Per009_zhr_strip.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, I saw that. But so many actual peaks have been based on predictions that haven't worked out, that I encourage all to look all three nights the night of the 11th, 12th, and 13th. there are other predictions for a peak a day or more later.

That peak would be right before twlight on the morning on the 12th for the Eastern US. The others could be a day or more later.

As I always say

1. Meteor Showers are like a box o' chocolates. You never know what you will get.

2. If you don't look, you won't see anything

:)

Meteor Wayne

C

Cpickens89

i seen on my local news here in columbus , Ohio that between august 12-15 theres going to be meteor showers , weather permitting this will be seen between 50-60 per hour

if someone could help me out that has a bit more knowledge about this topic by putting where else this could be seen

sorry if this is in the wrong area :cool:

M

MeteorWayne

Re: aug 12-15 meteor showers

This is the right area.

The Perseid meteor shower peaks between the 11th and 13th this year. From a very dark location 60 or more meteors an hour can be seen. This year, the moon is a problem, since it will be up most of the time after midnight when the highest meteor rates occur. This makes the sky brighter than the faintest meteors, so not all of of the 100 or more an hour that occur can be seen. Fortunately, the Perseids (debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle) are an old shower, so the meteors are brighter than many other showers.

The ZHR (shower rate under perfect conditions) may get as high as 150 per hour this year, but that is just a prediction, usually it reaches about 100 per hour.

The reason I suspect they mentioned it lasting through the 15th is bacause that's the weekend, but generally rates fall quite rapidly after the peak, so bySaturday night fewer will be seen.

The Perseids are actually active from about July 15th until August 24th, but the rates are low enough over most of that time that only meteor geeks like me watch.

To see the latest rates from data submitted to the International Meteor Organization, see this:

http://www.imo.net/live/perseids2009/

If you live in the suburbs, you will probably see half the rate displayed, if you live in the city, about 1/4 of the rate.

Meteor Wayne

D

dragon04

I'm hoping for clear skies this year.

G

GalaxyFunGirl

.....Oh my gosh....I love the Persied meteor shower.....it seems like every year I always get a good glimps of all the shooting stars.....I think there beautiful against a starry background.......

C

Cpickens89

i read that the best viewing tonight in the states is from 12am to 5am weather permitting espicially for me ohio's real good at bad weather , but also the moon is gonna be sitting high an bright so it may drown out some of the fainter meteors

M

MeteorWayne

Yes the moon is a major problem this year which is why observed rates will probably be ~ 60/hr during the peak (for a ZHR of ~ 120).

Fortunately, the Perseids, being an older shower, have a higher ratio of bright to faint meteors than most, so with clear skies, a good number should be seen.

C

Cpickens89

well so far for me the weathers a bit iffy around here lol ohhhh its never fails :cry:

i'll just pull a long night to see if it clears any :D

S

snowy062

Hi everyone. I just finished registering,so I guess I'm the newbie. I'm looking forward to the Meteor shower tonight/wee hours of the morning. With Lake Superior on my doorstep, and a Lat./Long. of 48.783, 87.100/Elev. 258 Meters (at least I think that's correct...) I'm hoping the fog we've endured for part of the day will finally disapate before sunset, and I'll have a good shot at seeing some of the shower. Last year I was able to catch a couple "shooting stars" from my location,one had a considerable tail (trail?) when it passed over my area. What was even nicer,was that I got to see this before 11 p.m. It was quite the sight,very impressive. I'm hoping for return performance....

G

geofbrewer

Well, at least you don't have to worry about the lights of any big cities spoiling the view. No air pollution to speak of. How big is Terrace Bay? Used to live almost due south on the UP shore.

C

Chris_Tucson

Well, it's 9pm Arzona time and all I see is that it's getting pretty cloudy. Can't even see the moon yet. Jupiter is dimming out. Zero meteors. Too bad ... will try back again around 1am ...

C

Cpickens89

well lets see again im outside of columbus , ohio clouds and light's are making it difficult but between 12:07am and 12:22am ive seen six so far its 12:52am now 3 of those were almost not seen very faint

im gonna look out again here in a bit for another hour or two an see what i can :)

only seen a few but im enjoying it ;)

J

Jakuinde

Do any of you know if the Perseid Meteor Shower can be seen from Central Mexico? Hope to get a quick reply.

D

dragon04

Jakuinde":1klr6nre said:
Do any of you know if the Perseid Meteor Shower can be seen from Central Mexico? Hope to get a quick reply.

Yes

M

MeteorWayne

The Perseid meteor shower can be seen across most of the world; the further north you are, the higher the radiant is in the sky, so the better rates you will see.

I don't believe it's visible from Antarctica, though...

P

prettypinkpigs

Does anyone here know if you can see it good in Ogden Utah tonight? And does anyone know what time we should start seeing Shooting Stars? If soeone could reply really fast that would be highly appreciated. :)

Y

yevaud

Yes, from about midnight tonight through about 5am tomorrow morning should be good viewing (weather permitting, of course). Enjoy!

P

prettypinkpigs

okay, i am really excited to watch. But it is too bad i have to watch from the backyard. We live in a city with a A TON of lights. but oh well.

C

Chris_Tucson

Wow, this thread disappeareded quickly - but there was one meteror sighting last night in Tucson, AZ - that's all folks - pretty quick, tell me Wayne - how long does it take for a meteor to cross the sky???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts