Photograph of Extra-Solar Planet Soon!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robnissen

This is SOOOO cool!!.<br /><br />"The closest planet outside our solar system orbits a young Sun-like star only 10.5 light years away—so close that telescopes might soon be able to snap pictures of it, new observations confirm. About 1.5 more massive than Jupiter, the planet takes 7-years to circle its star, Epsilon Eridani. . . .<br /> <br />Astronomers think enough starlight might be reflected off the planet when it makes its nearest approach to Epsilon Eridani in 2007 for Hubble and other telescopes to image it.<br /><br />http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/061009_nearest_exoplanet.html<br /><br />Also:<br />http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2006/32/text/<br />It is AMAZING, that in a little over ten years we have gone from zero known Extra-Solar planets to (hopefully) being able to photograph one.<br />

Q

qso1

Should be interesting. It'll probably image as no more than a few pixels but that will be a major newsworthy event if they can image it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

G

gawin

lets hope that NASA goes ahead with a hubble servicing mission

J

jmilsom

Let's get that pinhole camera up in space! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Or if really lucky, maybe Hubble won't need much in the way of servicing till at least 2015. But I'm also hoping a telescope like Keck or the ESO will be able to image planets when operated as an interferometer, although earth sized worlds may still be beyond their reach. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts