Pictures of earth sized objects beyond solar system

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aerogi

Last week was the first (probably) confirmation of a first photograph of an exoplanet, I was wondering what it would take to take pictures from earth sized objects not from our solar system? Let's say in the same quality that we can take pictures with the Hubble from Neptune. They are not of the 'greatest' quality, but we can see some details and have an idea about the colour, clouds, etc. <br /><br />Is it theoretically possible? And if so, what would it require to do so? Or would it be impossible regarding the hugeness of the mirrors to put in space?

A

astrophoto

We have the technology to photograph Earth sized planets in other systems, just no money to build and test it. We could use extensions of current technology to build a giant space/moon telescope, but you are talking major $$. As for Hubble resolution at this distance, I wouldn't count on that for a long long time.<br /><br />That said, the two competing discoveries released this week are truly fascinating and I hope they both hold up to scrutiny. I figure some simple follow-up observations to see if they are gravitationally bound would nail them as planets at this point.

M

Maddad

The pictures are not the greatest quality? We see a point of light that we think is a planet.

S

spaceman186000mps

<font color="yellow">The pictures are not the greatest quality? We see a point of light that we think is a planet. <br /><font color="white"> <br />and also that the reflected light left that extra solar planet over 200 years ago. So if it was a clear image, we'd see it as it was then.<br /></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">70 percent of novel proceeds </font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">www.trafford.com/06-1593</font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff"> are donated to </font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">www.caringbridge.org</font></strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts