Planet Temperature Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djZ

Is there a source depicting temperature trends of the planets, particularly the four inner ones, for however long such information may have been recorded?  I have read in two different publications where the surface temperature of both Mars and Jupiter has increased. 

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Is there a source depicting temperature trends of the planets, particularly the four inner ones, for however long such information may have been recorded?&nbsp; I have read in two different publications where the surface temperature of&nbsp;both Mars and Jupiter has increased.&nbsp; <br />Posted by djZ</DIV><br /><br />Mercury? No such records.</p><p>Venus, not really, we measure cloud tops, not surface for the most part.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Earth? We have detiled temperature records for a century, and reasonably accurate proxies for a few hundred million years.</p><p>Mars, no not really. One aspect of this mission might be to learns something about that. Mars' atmosphere is so thin, dust and obliquity have a huge effect.</p><p>&nbsp;Jupiter and beyond? Agfain, we measure cloud tops, and these are woirlds where physical prcesses within the atmosphere/surface play a huge role. Our knowledge of that is in it's infancy.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>We reallycan't say much more than we are learning more every day :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

djZ

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Mercury? No such records.Venus, not really, we measure cloud tops, not surface for the most part.&nbsp;Earth? We have detiled temperature records for a century, and reasonably accurate proxies for a few hundred million years.Mars, no not really. One aspect of this mission might be to learns something about that. Mars' atmosphere is so thin, dust and obliquity have a huge effect.&nbsp;Jupiter and beyond? Agfain, we measure cloud tops, and these are woirlds where physical prcesses within the atmosphere/surface play a huge role. Our knowledge of that is in it's infancy.&nbsp;We reallycan't say much more than we are learning more every day :) <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Thanks for your response, MeteorWayne.&nbsp; Since there is no information available regarding surface temperature trends, and since we measure cloud tops, where might I find a history of those measurements?<br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks for your response, MeteorWayne.&nbsp; Since there is no information available regarding surface temperature trends, and since we measure cloud tops, where might I find a history of those measurements? <br />Posted by djZ</DIV><br /><br />I don't know of any one place....my reply is based on dozens of sources I've read over the last few years. Let me think about it a bit and see if I can come up with some good sources for the various planets. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts