• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Space community!

Planet vs Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nexius

What is the difference between a planet and a star? I know stars are made up of gas and such were planets are made up of rock and so forth. The reason i ask is because isn't Neptune, Uranus and Jupiter all just gas but their planets. Im sure this has like 20 previous posts but thanks. Ben

Y

yevaud

Simply, because a Star acquired enough mass to begin a Fusion reaction. All planets, by definition, have not. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

N

nexius

What do you meen a fusion reaction? What exactly is that? (New to the whole astronomy thing)

M

MeteorWayne

It is what powers the sun.<br />Hydrogen atoms combine to become helium, releasing energy in the process. Like a hydrogen bomb.<br />Planets are too small to compress the matter at it's core<br />enough to start this reaction.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

nexius

Oh. I see do planets go through a death? or supernovae like a star? Or i guess they dont decay like a star?

N

nexius

so you could say Pluto "was" the oldest planet in our solar system since it was the coldest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS