Planets perpendicular to the elptic plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rugduster

Several years back I proposed a question. Did anyone know if there were any planets perpendicular to the eliptic plane or if it was even possible. I received two responses and both said it wasn't possible.<br /><br />Well it seems as though I have been proved correct. astronomers have found in the Andromeda galaxy that there are lined up off the eliptic plane nine planets orbiting a sun.<br /><br />I say from now on we should consider such odd possibilites taking place in the universe of which we know very little so far. I am sure as we look farther into the deep resesses of the universe we shall be amazed at what turns up.

T

telfrow

You might want to post this in "Space Science and Astronomy" rather than "Suggestions and Announcements." <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

J

jmilsom

<font color="yellow">Astronomers have found in the Andromeda galaxy that there are lined up off the eliptic plane nine planets orbiting a sun.</font><br /><br />Sorry to be a skeptic, but where did you get this information? Can you provide a link? I doubt we have seen any planets in another galaxy yet and certainly no one has discovered 9 around a single sun (except our own!) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

CalliArcale

Your diagram does not show nine planets orbiting a Sun. It shows nine satellite galaxies orbiting a large spiral galaxy: the Andromeda Galaxy. To date, no planets have been discovered in Andromeda -- its distance makes such detection impossible with current techniques. Perhaps you are confusing the words "galaxy" and "solar system"? You would certainly not be the first to confuse those two; I've noticed a fair number of professional journalists confuse the two, so I could see how you could get confused about that. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts