Question concerning planets effects, in the Cosmo world. Such as disasters and is there peace in solar system?
If you're concerned, perhaps, for us getting hit by an asteroid or something, consider how little Earth is relative to the size of our orbit. Imagine a floating green pea somewhere in a ocean 17 times bigger than all the Earth's oceans, then, without knowing where that pea is located, tossing a single drop of water into this vast area and actually landing on the green pea. The chances you hit this green pea is about the same as tossing a tiny meteroid towards the Earth and actually hitting it. [I think my math is right.]

I used only the area along the ecliptic, 7 degrees above and below the plane, rather than the entire sphere.

Last edited:
It is all a matter of probabilities. The fossil record shows five extinction events over the last 4 billion years. Each one killing off 70% to 90% of species. Four events are thought to be from impactors, one is thought to have been a gamma ray burst. The laws of probability say there must also have been many more events at a lower level of impact.
We must also consider the much higher probability of a severe solar flare destroying our satellites and power grid. This is far more likely and we should be preparing for it.

With no frontier, no cloud city-like "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "Voyager Station"-like space stations, or L-point orbiting Stanford Torus type space colony city-states, with accompanying networks of other [custom] facilities and facilitation, ships, and shipping, in our near future, civilization is in decline on the planet, entropy exists invincibly in growing bubble-like effect within the iron curtain and closed system of a shrinking world, and, thus, we aren't and won't be prepared in any way for any mass extinction event, or any EMP threat from our sun. We won't even be expanding a warning network on Earth, much less expanding to the reaches of space in an ever widening, ever farther-reaching warning -- and potentially prevention -- network.
--------------

To borrow from C. S. Lewis, 'The Abolition of Man' as I've done before: Aim for Heaven (for me to mean the heavens, the frontier horizons of the universe) and get Earth thrown in. Aim for Earth and get neither. (The physics couldn't be simpler stated in layman terms. Stephen Hawking called our breakout an imperative of Mankind. Not just important, but "imperative!")

Last edited:

Latest posts