Please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

christein057

Hello everyone, I am a college astronomy major and was doing work on the tzec maun telescope website and for those of you that are unfamiliar is shows a image that gets refreshed every few minutes of the current night sky. While looking at it around 10:30 eastern time there were no clouds or no other things in the picture....the next image however had a roundish shape object that got bigger then smaller than bigger again and always moved to the right. You can see many stars in the sky, but whatever this was appeared extremely big. If anyone has any idea as to what this is please let me know. I would think if it was the moon, or some other known object that it would be steadily the same size.
I dont know how to post the picture but the url to the image right now is...
http://portal.tzecmaun.org/
thanks everyone.....I have a series of 13 pictures of the object moving across the sky if you provide your email and think you can identify what it is

O

origin

christein057":313w3v8w said:
Hello everyone, I am a college astronomy major and was doing work on the tzec maun telescope website and for those of you that are unfamiliar is shows a image that gets refreshed every few minutes of the current night sky. While looking at it around 10:30 eastern time there were no clouds or no other things in the picture....the next image however had a roundish shape object that got bigger then smaller than bigger again and always moved to the right. You can see many stars in the sky, but whatever this was appeared extremely big. If anyone has any idea as to what this is please let me know. I would think if it was the moon, or some other known object that it would be steadily the same size.

Let me understand this, you are a College Astronomy Major and you think that something you are seeing in the night sky probably isn't the moon. So the moon is a pretty hard thing for you to definitely identify?
Are you kidding me? If you are that confused, I would recommend that you change your major to political science, or business.
Actually, I don't think you are really an astronomy major....

Oh, and welcome to SDC!

Edited to add - I went to the site you had and could not get in because I do not have a user name and password, which indicates to me that you are a student and I was being a jerk! I thought this was a spam type message. I now think I was wrong and my crumudgenly response was uncalled for. Sorry.

S

Saiph

Come now origin, I'm sure you could be a bit more polite to a new poster than that.

Christein, to post images first upload them to an image hosting site (like photo bucket) and place the url inside image tags, as below (remove the * for it to work properly).

[*img]URL HERE[*/img]

If the light moves across the image, and brightens and dims, you likely had an aircraft, and it's red running lights, in your field of view.

O

origin

Saiph":1lgofb3b said:
Come now origin, I'm sure you could be a bit more polite to a new poster than that.

Christein, to post images first upload them to an image hosting site (like photo bucket) and place the url inside image tags, as below (remove the * for it to work properly).

[*img]URL HERE[*/img]

If the light moves across the image, and brightens and dims, you likely had an aircraft, and it's red running lights, in your field of view.

As I stated in my edited post, you are absolutely right. I just got back from the dentist, and I must be in a bad mood. Again my appologies for the nasty note. I would delete the whole unfortunate post but I think that is generally considered bad form.

C

christein057

thats ok...the only reason I brought this up is because I use the tzec maun site alot and could never recall seeing something like this that just suddenly came up on the screen. I got the pictures in photo bucket but to set them up, this camera just takes a picture of the night sky every few minutes basically so people can check the current sky conditions. It said it was clear and showing nothing, in the next picture that came in , the bright object/thing showed up...Also if you look to the left of it there is a small circle that moves in the opposite direct, any ideas on that too?...I couldn't get the pictures in order but they all have the time stamp on them.
http://s602.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... /?newest=1
http://s602.photobucket.com/albums/tt110/Christein057/?newest=1
hopefully that works

M

MeteorWayne

That's exactly how the moon looks on our all sky camera at the NJAA.
The smaller object to the left is the reflection of the image from the acrylic dome covering used to protect the camera, and the distortions in shape are from scratches and imperfections in the shape of the dome.

C

christein057

Thank you....the distortions are really through me off and how it just suddenly appeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts