Polaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gotigers44

I have trouble finding Polaris.<br />Is it the one that is kind of reddish by the big dipper?

Y

yevaud

It might appear a bit so.<br /><br />Align yourself north. Point with your arm, and start raising your arm upwards, until you're about 90% of the way to the Zenith. That bright star you're pointing at would be Polaris.<br /><br />Old observatory trick. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jeremy_swinarton

If you can find the big dipper, here's a little trick to finding polaris.<br />Locate the two stars on the pouring side of the cup of the big dipper. Then draw a straight line north through the two stars. You will end up right at polaris.

N

nexium

The jeremy method is more Universal. If you are viewing from the Equator, Polaris is never more than 23 degrees above the horizon and averages zero degrees above the horizon. 90% of the way to the zenith is typical only of high Northern latitude locations.<br /> The angular distance to Polaris is about 6 times the pointer star spacing. Polaris is almost as bright as the two pointer stars. Polaris is the brightest star in the Little Dipper and is the end star of the handle of the Little Dipper. Neil

Y

yevaud

Perfectly valid. However...<br /><br />Rule of thumb: never tell novices long, involved, complicated ways of doing things. And I know this from working in an observatory for 2 years, dealing with novices.<br /><br />And by virtue of his name, I was assuming that he was from one of the Germanic-speaking countries...placing him in a similar latitude to me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

L

larper

If you are viewing from the equator, Polaris never rises more than about 1 degree, not 23 degrees. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

T

tony873004

larper is right. Polaris doesn't drift much. Whatever your latitude, that's how high Polaris should be above the Northern horizon, give or take only 1 degree. You'd have to be in the Artic Ocean to see it 90 degrees high. People in the southern hemisphere can't see Polaris at all.

H

heyscottie

The "reddish one" near the Big Dipper you are referring to might be Arcturus, which can be found by following the curve of the handle of the Big Dipper.<br /><br />It is a common misconception that the North Star is the brightest (or one of the brightest) stars in the sky. It is not! It is approximately the same brightness as most of the stars in the Big Dipper.<br /><br />And following the "pointer" stars of the dipper is still the best way to find it, as was posted above.<br /><br />Scott

Y

yevaud

Ok. I'l just discount the 4-5 thousand civilians I've shown this, in a functioning observatory.<br /><br />Btw - he's so new at this, he doesn't even know which star is which...and you're sending him off to locate constellations, draw lines, etc.<br /><br />*That's* why we used to do it the way I said. <br /><br />Edit: Geez, I said 90 degrees, I meant about 45. It's what happens when you try to conduct a multi-tasked life... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

I

igorsboss

<font color="yellow">If you are viewing from the Equator, Polaris is never more than 23 degrees above the horizon and averages zero degrees above the horizon.</font><br /><br />Nexium, here is a question just for you. Please, nobody else answer this one until nexium gets a chance.<br /><br />Please explain why it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter (in Kansas)?

I

igorsboss

I often use the pointer star method to locate polaris. However, I also use another method.<br /><br />First, I find the Big Dipper. Next, I find Cassiopea, which looks like a big "W". Polaris is halfway between them.

N

nexium

Ignoresboss is (perhaps) trying to prove a point by this question. Earth's axis is tilted almost 23 degrees with respect to the plane of the ecliptic = The almost circle that Earth travels around once per year. All the stars (including Polaris and our Sun) appear to move closer or farther from the horizon as the seasons pass. They return to the same elevation a year later. Kansas receives less solar energy when the sun (and other stars) appear lowest in the sky about December 21 each year. There is some delay in the heat loss, so the coldest days are often shortly after December 21. This explanation applies throughout the North Temperate Zone, but needs amending for other parts of Earth. Neil

L

lunatio_gordin

what about the 26,000 year precession of the earth's axis? does that have an effect on star locations?

I

igorsboss

<font color="yellow">Igorsboss is (perhaps) trying to prove a point by this question. </font><br /><br />No, just trying to find and fix a misconception. The proof is in the pudding...<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Earth's axis is tilted almost 23 degrees with respect to the plane of the ecliptic = The almost circle that Earth travels around once per year. </font><br /><br />Correct.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">All the stars (including Polaris and our Sun) appear to move closer or farther from the horizon as the seasons pass. They return to the same elevation a year later.</font><br /><br />False.<br /><br />Earth's spin axis points the same direction all year long.<br /><br />(Precession introduces an insignificant error, of less than 1 arcminute per year, so it can be ignored here.)<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Kansas receives less solar energy when the sun (and other stars) appear lowest in the sky about December 21 each year. There is some delay in the heat loss, so the coldest days are often shortly after December 21. This explanation applies throughout the North Temperate Zone, but needs amending for other parts of Earth. Neil</font><br /><br />True enough for credit. You demonstrate a correct understanding that it is the sun's angle, not distance, that creates the heating/cooling effects.<br /><br />However, the other stars do not appear higher or lower in the sky according to the seasons. Instead, they rise at different times each day, sometimes hiding in the daylight, or appearing in the night sky, according to the seasons.<br />----<br />Now to root out the misconception. First, I'll state some obvious facts...<br /><br />1) The Earth orbits the Sun in the same plane, the ecliptic.<br />2) The Earth's spin axis always points the same direction.<br />3) The Earth's spin axis differs from the ecliptic's axis by about 23.5 degrees.<br /><br />At the winter solstice, the North pole is inclined away from the sun. At the summer sol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts