POLL: Would you sign up for a one-way trip to Mars?

POLL: Would you sign up for a one-way trip to Mars?

• I’m dying to go!

Votes: 57 60.0%
  • Maybe when I’m closer to death but not now.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Life is too good here.

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Space_pioneer

I think there should a fourth choice.
" When technology advances more."

You see, we do not have the technology for a real dedicated trip to Mars, and I fear any trip now would be one big psychological experiment. We need to develop a fast drive, more radiation prtection, and our overall colonization technology, before we attempt anything drastic.

C

c61white

I'd go in a minute even knowing I would die on Mars (hopefully of old age). As it is now I will die on Earth so what's the difference? At least on Mars I would be part of the greatest adventure in human history (so far).

W

Windbourne

For those of you saying that we should go to Mars, but are not sure if it should be 2-way or 1-way, then let me ask another side poll.

Assume that I am a researcher. Further assume that I have found the cure for cancer. And I have decided that this needs to be everywhere to cure all cancer. So, I insert the genes into Rhino-virus. The reason for Rhino-virus is that it is an Airbourne virus, and easily transmitted. No, what this means is that this will spread all over the world and solve Cancer.
So, does everybody agree that I have the RIGHT to do this?
And just as importantly, that I have the Moral imperative to solve all cancer with this?

So, the poll consist of both of those two bottom questions.
And then I will explain later.

D

doom_shepherd

Windbourne":vqq7eo4v said:
Assume that I am a researcher. Further assume that I have found the cure for cancer. And I have decided that this needs to be everywhere to cure all cancer. So, I insert the genes into Rhino-virus. The reason for Rhino-virus is that it is an Airbourne virus, and easily transmitted. No, what this means is that this will spread all over the world and solve Cancer.

Yeah, I saw "I am Legend," too.

N

neuvik

Hell yea I'd go, no matter how you end up you'll end up in the history books. And its in my mariner blood, gotta keep with tradition. Along with the prefab domicile, power production, and food stocks they will need to include some pretty heavy things like forges, lathes and mills, and ball mills, crucibles, rolling dyes…list goes on. Self sufficient has a really steep curve if you can’t produce structural components, tools, etc. If the botany department needs more trays for plant cultures we won’t have wood (or a quick supply from Earth), so either metal or ceramics will have to be used; Engineering will need some heavy gear to get that done.

You would certainly need nukes for the intense power requirements necessary for manufacturing and life support.

M

mariner5

If I just have me the means to survive for an extended period, I can finally go home (Mars) for the first time ever.

N

none12345

Depends. I wouldnt go on a suicide run, in a tin can with provisions for a year or something like that.

But i would easily go 1 way if it was a proper colonization attempt. And by that i mean a massive effort to put what is needed there. Most certainly a nuclear reactor with a backup. A proper tool shop with the ability of medium scale forging, as well as proper mining equipment. Decent sized living space with the ability to grow your own food. At least 2 doctors with a properly equipped medical bay, miners, metal workers, farmers(from hydroponics), as well as a few scientists(you'd probably need at least 30 people). ETC.

IE all the tools one would need to build and expand from martian resources from that point on with the goal of expanding the colony for more one way people that are coming down the line.

Even if everyone died, if the equipment was there, however much progress they made would not be lost. They could send more people to continue the effort. So the mission could never fail(outside a meteor strike anyway!).

A

adrenalynn

Sign me up. I'll help you write the grant proposal if you like.

And I'd be very happy to come alone with you Adrenalynn.

Between us we could plan & pull off one hell of a mission.

Andrew Brown.

L

LostTraveler

Just like we use to do. The first manned ships should be colony ships. We know Mars is there so we don't need a Columbus.

A

Admiral_Lagrange

And everyone thought I was crazy when I first stated I was planning on a one way trip. I guess there's a lot of crazy's here. LOL

K

kkinnison

The question is meaningless. What KIND of a one-way trip to Mars? A fully equipped colonization expedition, or a suicide mission? Under what kind of conditions? How many, and what kind of people? With what kind of lodgings, once there? With what long-term intentions and/or plans? And on and on and on.

Would you sign up for a secret mission here on earth? We can't tell you who you would be working for, what you would be paid (or if, for that matter), where that mission might occur, when it might be, or what it would entail.

Hmm?

A

Admiral_Lagrange

Windbourne":87afzwf3 said:
For those of you saying that we should go to Mars, but are not sure if it should be 2-way or 1-way, then let me ask another side poll.

So, does everybody agree that I have the RIGHT to do this?
And just as importantly, that I have the Moral imperative to solve all cancer with this?

So, the poll consist of both of those two bottom questions.
And then I will explain later.

No Winbourne, Even if it doesn't mutate or kill the few people who maybe allergic to it, It still takes away the freedom of choice.

G

General_Kenobi

I voted "yes." A lot of that certainly would have to do with my natural curiosity, but I think it also goes back to the fact that I am in my mid-30s & I am single. No way would I go if I had a family, or if I was somehow responsible for someone else's life as a parent would be. But since it's just me, I think I'd be doing humanity a great service (at least I hope I would be). At the very least, I'd be part of the greatest journey in the history of man.
Actually, I would have a couple conditions: I'd need access to be able to keep up with all of my fantasy football teams (5 or 6 of them depending on the year). That's a deal breaker there. I would also need to be able to bring my golf clubs. Maybe an extra sand wedge, too. I'd bet I could hit a golf ball 450 yards there...at least. If anyone wants to do the math, my average drive is roughly 250 yards, at 5280ft above sea level.

I

Ish_Kabibble

I'm not going until there is a Wal-Mart. Make it a Wal-Mart Super Center. And cable.

S

Space_pioneer

You guys do realize most of you are going to die? I understand the analogy with te european colonists, but any mission within the next ten years will probably kill you before you even get to Mars. I'd stick to the moon, and practice a hell of a lot more. Going in there in a tin can and then landing there and getting killed by the radiation isn't fun.

S

Stumpzian

I want more choices in the poll. No, I'm not dying to go. But, the other poll choices do not fit me. At age 63, I would consider it, if my wife would go, etc. etc. Give us another option. Otherwise, I cannot answer.

S

SolarExplorer

You guys do realize most of you are going to die? I understand the analogy with te european colonists, but any mission within the next ten years will probably kill you before you even get to Mars. I'd stick to the moon, and practice a hell of a lot more. Going in there in a tin can and then landing there and getting killed by the radiation isn't fun.

We all die eventually, wouldn't it be better to go now and be able to experience it, maybe even survive. If we wait it may take half a century to get there and by then I'll be too old.

P

postman1

Having just watched the news on TV, I have to say that as long as there are no political ads running there, I would go to Mars right now!

D

DastardlyDan

I would love to go, but I couldn't stand to leave and never see my children again.

O

orienteer

What's the point? Until we start doing some mammalian animal husbandry, there is no colony, just a workshop. Even with lava tubes, which will only shield adults for the part of the day that they stay inside, radiation will probably mutate embryos on a wholesale basis. Anyone who is of child bearing age that says yes is asking for a six-legged offspring.

N

neuvik

The article alludes to using lava tubes with ice deposits (I’m assuming found in a previous robotic mission in the whole imaginary situation). So that provides a good source of radiation shielding and defense against the elements.

The article also seems to allude to the infant stages of a colony, the actual building, and goals to increase production.

“Schulze-Makuch and Davies propose that the astronauts would periodically be supplied with basic necessities from Earth, but would otherwise be expected to become increasingly proficient at harvesting and utilizing the resources available on the foreign planet. The researchers envision that the settlement would eventually reach self-sufficiency, and could then serve as a hub for expanding human colonization.”

That’s not a situation you want senior citizens, they can’t lift heavy objects, stand long watches. They just don’t have the endurance needed for the critical time of building structures, conducting surveys, etc. And established colony sure…but the article clearly states the infant stages. Sorry geezers.

I’ll head the engineering department! And as your Cheng I’ll ensure some time on day work will be towards constructing a still, from which we will steal biomass from the botanical department and ferment it for our merriment; also probably gotta use it to barter with chemistry/geology department for some Chromium and shielding gas so we can make stainless steel, gunna need plenty of that since we don’t have a source of coal for mild steel.

M

marsbug

With no ties or responsibilities here on Earth- yes, not in a heartbeat exactly but I'd go after giving it due thought and being sure it was what I wanted to do with my life. And something like this is what I wanted to do with my life for many years.
However there are far too many familly that make my life full and complete here on Earth, and far too many people who'd be devastated to 'loose' me in such a fashion, for me to realistically contemplate it. But I bet there are many people out there who both want to go and have nothing significant tying them here. A big part of me hopes so at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts