• Ask your space questions of a real life astrophysicist with our latest AMA by clicking here!

Possible reason we've made no contact with ET

Page 9 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Oct 21, 2019
So the Navy don't know their own flying machines is what you are saying?lol!
No, that is not what I am saying. I said,” UFO – Unidentified Flying Object
Many sightings of (apparently) flying objects and aerial phenomenon have remained unidentified. Many others were later identified. None have been confirmed to be Extraterrestrial in origin.” Try reading that again for the first time. The “U” in UFO means unidentified.

Dec 11, 2019
Navy jets reporting UFOs? I have seen these videos (e.g. Tucker Carlson on FoxNews reported recently). How fast did the UFOs in the Navy jets sighting fly? I did not see any indication that these were hypersonic flights like moving at 2 km/s or Mach 5.89 at standard sea level pressure and temperature of 15C. Even if we assume the UFOs could move this fast, that does not show the UFOs came across interstellar space say at 50 km/s or Mach 147+ to reach Earth. At this speed, it would take some 30,000 years to reach Earth traveling across a 5 light-year distance. Mental Avenger is correct *None have been confirmed to be Extraterrestrial in origin*. Currently we have 4151 *confirmed* exoplanets now, The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia There are 3084 host stars documented for these 4151 exoplanets and their distances from Earth range 4 to 35882 light-years away. None of these host stars with exoplanets are *confirmed* as the place of origin for the UFO sighting reports.
I think it is possible these far more advanced beings can bend space itself. For example lets look at a piece of paper. If point A is on one side and point B on the other side. If you fold the piece of paper in half point B would be way closer. And even fold it again and its not very far at all. That is one way I think and it could be these travelers are from other dimensions and just come through some kind of portal. Not to mention worm holes could possibly used also.

Just because we don't have the capabilities does not make it impossible. And if you are a race thousands to millions years older than these earthlings it is pretty obvious they have developed easy interstellar travel. Good points though.

Dec 11, 2019
No, that is not what I am saying. I said,” UFO – Unidentified Flying Object
Many sightings of (apparently) flying objects and aerial phenomenon have remained unidentified. Many others were later identified. None have been confirmed to be Extraterrestrial in origin.” Try reading that again for the first time. The “U” in UFO means unidentified.
Well yes that is obvious and I understand that. And sure it could even have been something the Air Force had that the Navy don't know about. They are compartmentalized. If we are to use common sense it is obvious to me that their are extraterrestrials flying around Earth and crafts that the governments has we don't know about. But for sure it can't be proved that this is going on but I think it is logical to understand that.

Dec 15, 2019
Your belief is irrelevant. Over the past 35 years, I have followed the controversy. In the 80s, I worked for a Tech company that built UFO detectors for Ray Stanford of Project Starlight International. They were magnetometers with a resolution of one millionth of a Gauss. That was because the majority of UFO sightings included magnetic aberrations in the area. They included a recorder and wwvb receiver to record the exact time. They were deployed in high UFO sighting areas, many near Austin Texas. These instruments could tell the difference between a single engine, twin engine, or four engine aircraft at 35,000, jet or piston. Zero ET UFO sightings.
I also attended MUFON conferences where the latest technology and information was available. Zero proof of ET UFOs.
So your experiment did detect UFOs though. Just not "ET UFOs." What's an "ET UFO"? Did you experiment define the criteria?

To suggest that control of information is not a major reason for the existence of the U.S.'s 18 intelligence agencies is a tad naive, in my option. The fact remains: When it comes to discoveries made in space activities, in particular, NASA is considered in law to be a branch of the Department of Defense. This means that NASA's true allegiance is to the national security apparatus, not civilians.

The Brookings Report does indeed address the discovery of ET life and its potential effect on the masses. Its conclusion: they couldn't handle it. Even worse, Brookings concluded that *scientists* would be the most shaken by such a discovery. Once again, another reason for science to ignore evidence, and for the intelligence agencies to avoid an upheaval.

Recent rovers on Mars are designed to look for evidence of life, even microbes.
No, there is no craft since Viking in 1976 that has any device designed to test for living organisms. That is by design. Geologists are largely in control of determining protocol, and they expect to see rocks and rocks only. Gil Levin, the project scientist who designed Viking's life detection experiments, maintains to this day that his experiment found life on Mars over 40 years ago. Seems like that would have been a good reason to follow up...IF NASA wanted to find life. Clearly, it doesn't.

Oct 21, 2019
So your experiment did detect UFOs though. Just not "ET UFOs." What's an "ET UFO"? Did you experiment define the criteria?
Experiment??? We did serious research over a period of many years. Our research did not detect any readings that were not identifiable as Earth origin. All recordings yielded magnetic signatures compatible with ordinary machines and sources on Earth.

To suggest that control of information is not a major reason for the existence of the U.S.'s 18 intelligence agencies is a tad naive, in my option.
You are welcome to your opinion. There is no evidence that any findings are being kept secret. On the contrary, such findings would most certainly result in the funding that NASA desperately needs.

The Brookings Report does indeed address the discovery of ET life and its potential effect on the masses. Its conclusion: they couldn't handle it. Even worse, Brookings concluded that *scientists* would be the most shaken by such a discovery. Once again, another reason for science to ignore evidence, and for the intelligence agencies to avoid an upheaval.
As pointed out, that Brookings Report was based entirely upon interactions between modern explorers, and primitive tribes with no prior contact with advanced civilization of any kind. The “results” were totally useless regarding civilization capable of space flight. As for scientists being “shaken”, that is literally the opposite of reality. The scientists I worked with, and others I know, would absolutely love to find evidence of life of any kind off Earth.

No, there is no craft since Viking in 1976 that has any device designed to test for living organisms.
Several missions have included instruments designed to find even the compounds that would indicate past life. Again, finding verifiable data regarding life anywhere off Earth would be exactly what NASA needs to fund the many projects the currently cannot afford.

Dec 15, 2019
Experiment??? We did serious research over a period of many years. Our research did not detect any readings that were not identifiable as Earth origin. All recordings yielded magnetic signatures compatible with ordinary machines and sources on Earth.
Regardless of the criteria and outcome of your particular research, there many volumes documenting observations and testimony strongly suggesting a non-prosaic source for some UFO accounts. Timothy Good's book "Above Top Secret" is one. All of Richard Dolan's works are worthy of serious consideration. J. Allen Hynek's "The UFO Experience" is one of the first to document Project Blue Book's findings. "Clear Intent" is another compelling book regarding the "black triangle" flap. These accounts involve far more than anomalous magnetic signatures, assuming that's even a criterion that makes sense to test for.

You are welcome to your opinion. There is no evidence that any findings are being kept secret. On the contrary, such findings would most certainly result in the funding that NASA desperately needs.
Yes, I am welcome to my opinion. And it's one based on fact. Intelligence agencies routinely deny holding documents on UFO investigations. And they are routinely shown to be lying about that. That's why they do: lie.

For example, from Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CUFOS):

[Peter Gersten] is a criminal defense attorney who in 1977 brought suit in a U.S. District Court on behalf of Ground Saucer Watch against the Central Intelligence Agency. Pursuant to the FOIA lawsuit, the CIA in 1979 released over 900 pages of documents relating to the UFO phenomenon. They refused to release 57 documents, claiming national security considerations. On June 24th, 1980 Gersten brought suit against the National Security Agency on behalf of his own recently formed organization, Citizens Against UFO Secrecy, for 135 UFO related documents. On November 18, 1980, based upon a NSA top secret affidavit, the Court dismissed the lawsuit stating that "the continued need for secrecy far out weighed the public's right to know.

To suggest intelligence agencies don't routinely withhold information on UFOs is naive in the extreme.

As pointed out, that Brookings Report was based entirely upon interactions between modern explorers, and primitive tribes with no prior contact with advanced civilization of any kind. The “results” were totally useless regarding civilization capable of space flight. As for scientists being “shaken”, that is literally the opposite of reality. The scientists I worked with, and others I know, would absolutely love to find evidence of life of any kind off Earth.
I'm not sure what your point is. The scientists involved in the research wrote the conclusion based on their studies. They certainly thought it appropriate to apply their findings to modern day society, concluding that:

It has been speculated that, of all groups, scientists and engineers might be the most devastated by the discovery of relatively superior creatures, since these professions are most clearly associated with the mastery of nature, rather than with the understanding and expression of man. Advanced understanding of nature might vitiate all our theories at the very least, if not also require a culture and perhaps a brain inaccessible to Earth scientists. [My emphasis.]

Several missions have included instruments designed to find even the compounds that would indicate past life. Again, finding verifiable data regarding life anywhere off Earth would be exactly what NASA needs to fund the many projects the currently cannot afford.
Yes, some instruments look for signatures of carbon compounds that we presume are precursors to life. But there have been ZERO experiments to actually acquire samples and search for active or past life. Viking in 1976 was the last mission to do that and, according to its principal investigator, Viking *did* detect life. If NASA's overriding concern is to discover life and reap the funding bonanza you suggest it would, they should have jumped all over Levin's findings, seeking every positive angle in order to acquire ongoing funding. They absolutely did not do this. They did the opposite: they buried the results; they argued to the ends of the earth that Levin is wrong. They scoffed, they obfuscated, and they threw Levin under the bus. According to your argument, this makes them idiots. I don't think that's the case. I think NASA, effectively a branch of the DoD in terms of discoveries, at its highest levels, agreed with the conclusions of the Brookings Report and the intelligence community: let's not rock the boat.

This doesn't mean that NASA's rank-and-file scientists wouldn't be thrilled to find ET. It simply means that the mandate is not there, so they toil away under a tiny budget, with geology as the only motivator for exploration, with manned missions and the actual search for life neatly tucked away in the "to do someday" file.

See http://journalofastrobiology.com/Mars5.html for more information on Gil Levin's Labeled Release Experiment on the Viking craft, as well as more evidence for active life on Mars.

Oct 21, 2019
Regardless of the criteria and outcome of your particular research, there many volumes documenting observations and testimony strongly suggesting a non-prosaic source for some UFO accounts. Timothy Good's book "Above Top Secret" is one. All of Richard Dolan's works are worthy of serious consideration. J. Allen Hynek's "The UFO Experience" is one of the first to document Project Blue Book's findings. "Clear Intent" is another compelling book regarding the "black triangle" flap. These accounts involve far more than anomalous magnetic signatures, assuming that's even a criterion that makes sense to test for.

Regardless of the criteria and outcome of your particular research, there many volumes documenting observations and testimony strongly suggesting a non-prosaic source for some UFO accounts.,, yadda, yadda, yadda…….
Irrelevant. There are many times that number of books regarding observations and talking with angels, the Devil, Jesus, etc.

Yes, I am welcome to my opinion. And it's one based on fact.
No, it is not. There is no evidence that any findings of and actual ET Alien UFOs are being kept secret. Your citing lawsuits as an argument showcases your ignorance regarding the legal system and lawsuits in this country. A lawsuit by Citizens Against UFO Secrecy???? You cannot possibly be serious. Good grief!

To suggest intelligence agencies don't routinely withhold information on UFOs is naive in the extreme.
The only information that has been withheld was regarding our own Top Secret Aircraft, which is a matter of national security. That’s it.

I'm not sure what your point is. The scientists involved in the research wrote the conclusion based on their studies.
As noted, the Brookings Report was based entirely upon interactions between modern explorers, and primitive tribes with no prior contact with advanced civilization of any kind. The “results” were totally useless regarding civilization capable of space flight. That report was soundly and completely debunked years ago.

Yes, some instruments look for signatures of carbon compounds that we presume are precursors to life………..
Presume are precursors to life?????? Seriously? Presumed?? They KNOW what those compounds are. They are not finding them. In the process they would discover signs of life IF there were any. There isn’t.

This doesn't mean that NASA's rank-and-file scientists wouldn't be thrilled to find ET. It simply means that the mandate is not there
I have actually talked to, and communicated with, scientists at JPL, Arizona State, and Malin Space Science Systems. I worked with scientists who were searching for the truth. Mandate? If the information was found, it would mean massive funding for all of them.

Please continue to believe all the Conspiracy Theory Wingnuts.

Reactions: Amelia Ashford
Dec 15, 2019
Irrelevant. There are many times that number of books regarding observations and talking with angels, the Devil, Jesus, etc.
Last time I checked, Satan sightings aren't generally confirmed by radar, or by multiple witnesses, or by military personnel--as are many of the best UFO accounts.

You may have heard of something called the judicial system. It's the one where judgments on the validity of claims are made overwhelmingly based on the testimony of witnesses. Credible witnesses are sufficient to consider their observations to be based on truth. Why should it be any different with credible UFO witnesses?

No, it is not. There is no evidence that any findings of and actual ET Alien UFOs are being kept secret. Your citing lawsuits as an argument showcases your ignorance regarding the legal system and lawsuits in this country. A lawsuit by Citizens Against UFO Secrecy???? You cannot possibly be serious. Good grief!
Actually, I am serious. The lawsuit forced the NSA and FBI to produce hundreds of documents they lied about not having. The documents proved those agencies were deeply interested in and concerned about UFO sightings because they represented a possible threat to security.

The fact that you clearly have not read any relevant study of the wealth of UFO documentation available proves that you have no clue what you're talking about in any of these matters.

I've talked to Michael Malin too. The guy's as biased against the idea of life on Mars as the rest of the scientists who control mission priorities. That would explain why there have been no life detection experiments or equipment on any mission since Viking. If they really believed their funding would balloon as a result of finding even microbial life on Mars, don't you think they would be sending life detection equipment on every mission possible?

Oct 21, 2019
You may have heard of something called the judicial system. It's the one where judgments on the validity of claims are made overwhelmingly based on the testimony of witnesses. Credible witnesses are sufficient to consider their observations to be based on truth.
Verdicts are not proof.
Do this. Go tell all those convicted of robbery, burglary, theft, and other crimes by a jury, sat in prison for years and years, and were then released because the real criminal confessed or evidence proved they were innocent, that a verdict by a jury or a court is proof they were guilty.
Then go tell all those convicted of rape by a jury, sat in prison for 5,10,15 years, and were then released because DNA evidence proved they were innocent, that a verdict by a jury or a court is proof they were guilty.
Then go tell all those convicted of murder by a jury, sat in prison for 5,10,15,20 years, and were then released when the real murder was caught, that a verdict by a jury or a court is proof they were guilty.
Then go tell all those convicted of murder by a jury, and were executed, and then DNA evidence or other undeniable proof proved they didn't do it, that a verdict by a jury or a court is proof they were guilty. Oh, you can't, they're DEAD.
I understand your problem now, you are confusing religion and science. Historically, it has been religious leaders who resisted anything that threatened their beliefs, and it has been scientists who actively searched for the uncomfortable facts, risking persecution and even death. It has always been that way, and it still is. It is reprehensible for you to lie about Malin.
I have neither the inclination nor the obligation to convince anyone of anything. I present the information, and it is up to the reader to agree or disagree, accept or reject, verify or refute, acknowledge or ignore it. I really don't care.
Long ago, I learned that it is pointless to attempt to change the minds of those with diametrically opposed belief systems in internet discussions. The best that can be done is to counter misinformation and provide reasonable arguments for those readers who may be undecided and/or badly misinformed. I post for those silent onlookers and open minded people who have not yet made up their minds on a subject. The number of replies vs the number of views shows how many watchers there always are.
Bye.

Dec 15, 2019
Verdicts are not proof.
Wow. That's quite a rant. You could have just said you think the pilots, policemen, astronauts and scientists who have concluded that UFOs represent a genuine anomaly are wrong, and that you believe their testimony is not credible. That would have saved you a lot of typing.

I suggest anyone still following this thread simply go read the books I mentioned. Getting your "UFO truth" from people arguing on a Space.com bulletin board is a bad idea. Do your own research.

Jun 28, 2020
See http://journalofastrobiology.com/Mars5.html for more information on Gil Levin's Labeled Release Experiment on the Viking craft, as well as more evidence for active life on Mars.
i've just done reading this, the conclusions however is still not convincing, even the authors themselves said the question of life is still "unaswered".
I suggest anyone still following this thread simply go read the books I mentioned. Getting your "UFO truth" from people arguing on a Space.com bulletin board is a bad idea. Do your own research.
Yeah, but from my experience it's reaally hard to dsitinguish between a hard science evidence about ETs & just pure conspiracy backed with "science". the former is blurred with the latter...

Reactions: Truthseeker007
Jun 28, 2020
I wish im not too far off-topic, but did anybody here have read "the mothman prophecy"..??

it's about sighting of mysterious supossedly alien peoples.... if it was true, then maybe the possible reason is indeed goverments cover-ups, i hate to be those ppl but just maybe those conspiracists have points....

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
On a planet covered with cameras and various sensing devices, where keeping a secret of the magnitude of alien visitors would be all but impossible, isn't it odd that we have yet to find a "verifiable" incident (no, not really)?

Any alien life-form capable of interstellar travel would surely have the technological means to avoid our detection. For our sake, we should hope such visitors never pay us a visit. If they had malicious intent towards us, it would be a bad day to be a human.

Dec 15, 2019
i've just done reading this, the conclusions however is still not convincing, even the authors themselves said the question of life is still "unaswered".
I suggest reading Principal Investigator Gil Levin's papers. He did follow-up experiments to try to rule out some of the alternative interpretations and he became more convinced than ever that life was detected by Viking.

The problem is that, even though most scientists wouldn't be surprised at all to learn of microbial life on Mars, no space agency has bothered to send a true life detection experiment to the Red Planet. Isn't that mind boggling? NASA's one experiment showed strong positive results, according to the guy who designed it, and most scientists think it's likely--yet, we haven't bothered to go confirm it.

Dec 11, 2019
I wish im not too far off-topic, but did anybody here have read "the mothman prophecy"..??

it's about sighting of mysterious supossedly alien peoples.... if it was true, then maybe the possible reason is indeed goverments cover-ups, i hate to be those ppl but just maybe those conspiracists have points....
I did see the movie a very long time ago. Isn't the mothman a reptilian looking entity that has big wings if I recall correctly?

Jun 28, 2020
I did see the movie a very long time ago. Isn't the mothman a reptilian looking entity that has big wings if I recall correctly?
Um, no i haven't seen the movie yet...

But what i did was reading the book by John Keel, and what interest me is the character named "Indrid Cold" an alien very similiar to human but have mastered interstellars flight
including telepathy and so on... have long lifespan 130-180 years... however their homaplanet is very similiar to human, the plants, animals, also infrastructure is also mundane...

Dec 11, 2019
Um, no i haven't seen the movie yet...

But what i did was reading the book by John Keel, and what interest me is the character named "Indrid Cold" an alien very similiar to human but have mastered interstellars flight
including telepathy and so on... have long lifespan 130-180 years... however their homaplanet is very similiar to human, the plants, animals, also infrastructure is also mundane...
It was pretty good movie. I think it came out in the late 90's early 2000s.
I should pick up the book and read it. :) It does sound very interesting and I am sure a lot more in-depth then the movie.

I think even the thought of telepathy is pretty neat. Do you think telepathy is possible? I know they have practices called Remote viewing which is kind of a telepathy.

If you are interested in those type of things you may enjoy some ancient alien books. Some believe there were aliens here in the past either messing with our DNA or even making the Neanderthal smarter at a faster rate.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS