President to sign Senate Bill Thursday 10/7/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mr_mark

According to sources within the administration, President Obama will sign the Senate bill approved by the House tomorrow, Thursday 10/7. The bill cancels the Constellation program and requires NASA to start building an HLV vehicle to be finished by 2016. Certain parts of the Constellation/ Shuttle program will survive and be included in the building of the new HLV such as SRB's. The bill also approves further funding for commercial manned spaceflight.

R

rcsplinters

This is a pretty significant date as far as that bill goes, aside from its being signed into law. With the signature, as I interpret the language, the various timers start on reports and status for HSF requirements (big deal with commercial players), design of the HLV, etc. Within the next several months we should have some idea relative to direction on iniitiatives in the bill.

As far as STS-135, i think the answer there is "sorta". For STS-135 to become a reality (aside from lack of need for contingency), appropriations must be made. Hopefully we'll see those from the lame duck session in December. Right now NASA is funded under a 2010 continuing resolution which does not include STS-135, to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.