primive earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alokmohan

How hot earth was at the beginning?Was it gaseous?What was the temperature?

D

doubletruncation

It never would have been gaseous (though it did have an atmosphere, and there is evidence from nobel gas isotopes that this atmosphere might have been far more substantial at one time than it is today), it really accreted out of rock. The earliest Earth was probably a liquid magma ocean at times, and then during the periods of heavy bombardment the surface may have remelted and any water may have boiled off (particularly after major events such as the moon forming impact). I don't know exactly what the dates/temperatures would have been (a geologist might, though I suspect there is a good deal of uncertainity in those numbers). There are some interesting sites dealing with early Earth history, for example:<br /><br />http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/j_b_bennington/2cnotes/hadean.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nexium

During inpacts, significant portions of the surface, briefly reach gas or even plasma temperatures. My guess is main stream science thinks the the surface temperature averaged less than 1000 degrees c = 1832 f at all stages of Earth's early days. Numerous compounds are gas or vapor at this temperature, but other compounds and elements are solid, even at the higher interior temperature and pressure. Neil

A

alokmohan

Iwas reading a so called author,he seems to have confused aerth and universe and solar system.I got confused.Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.