Problems...problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tfwthom

Safety is always an issue because of what we do (getting an observing site out in the boonies) The following is from an Arizona observing newgroup. Maybe it's only a problem here but....<br /><br />I have had rangers tell me "you know it's OK to carry a weapon here in the National Forest" never brought the subject up myself and from the Border Patrol "Keep the CD player turned up so the "coyotes" know you are there, they will try to avoid you, but the "mules" they do't care.....best to be armed" This after being hit with one of them million candle searchlights waiting of my night vision to come back.<br /><br />Ahhh the joys of observing in Arizona.<br /><br /><br /><br />Hello folks;<br /><br />I have now heard several people who know tell me that the location of the Sentinel Star Gaze is not very safe. That is from a deputy sheriff in Gila Bend and the folks who run the small store at Sentinel. The border patrolis having some problems in this area and like so many agencies just don't have the personnel to control the border.<br /><br />If there is a modest crowd for this Saturday, they would have no problem, but in the future I would like to discuss a safer location.<br /><br />On the way to Sentinel on Thursday, I visited the camp ground at the Painted Rocks state park. To get there, drive as if you are going to Sentinel. About 15 miles before the Sentinel exit off of I-8 is Painted Rocks Road. This is exit 102. Take it to the right (north) for 10 miles and take the eft fork of the road. There is a sign there for Painted Rocks Park. Down the road half a mile will get you the entrance to the park. The second right turn will lead to the campground. There is a brick public restroom and picnic tables.<br /><br />The ranger there told me that with a phone call to him, he can close off a section of the campground just for us. He is Bob (edit) 928-683-(edit).<br /><br />There was absolutely no one there on Thursday and there is plenty of room to get away from Bob's trailer. He s <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

newtonian

TFWThom - Just the Scripture "Be cautious as serpents." <br /><br />Being alone in a campground has its dangers - especially in an area considered dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts