Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ProjectDaedalus

My name is Michael P. Green and it is my proud honor to announce the <strong>Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program</strong>. <br /><br />Project: Daedalus is an attempt to become the first ever independent student organization to design and launch a sub-orbital sounding rocket.&nbsp; The Students for the Exploration and Development of Space Chapter at the University of Central Florida (SEDS-UCF) has undertook this endeavor to increase knowledge about rocketry, increase advocacy about space exploration, and provide a feasible reusable launch vehicle for scientific projects and research in the long run.&nbsp; Our program consists of about 70 interdisciplinary engineering and science students. <br /><br />This endeavor, while being quite ambitious, is a project we have each undertaken on our own time in order to gain valuable experience in the engineering field while conducting important scientific research.&nbsp; Our design consists of a hybrid (Nitrous Oxide/Polyethylene) single stage booster-dart launch vehicle with on-board video, telemetry and recovery systems.&nbsp; In the long run, we hope to design a low-cost, reusable launch vehicle to conduct sub-orbital scientific research for years to come.&nbsp; Current plans include the production of quarter-scale and full-scale hybrid motors, the launch of Daedalus III (full-scale vehicle launch to 250,000 feet in order to test electronics and communication systems) in late June/July 2009, and the launch of Daedalus IV (breaking the barrier of space) in December 2009.&nbsp; More about our project is available at http://www.projectdaedalus.com.<br /><br />Project: Daedalus is also in an effort to educate students about engineering, aerospace, and rocketry through special advocacy and outreach programs with local elementary and high schools.&nbsp; Our outreach consists of three primary programs:<br /><br />1) Sponsoring a contest to high school students to design a scientific research project to be launched as a payload for our next launch. Students will have to submit a proposal for a self-contained research project that will record data at an altitude of up to 250,000 feet.<br />2) Working through our sponsoring organization, The Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS-UCF), to work with local elementary schools and community groups to have science-related and rocket building workshops, increasing interest in science and technology.<br />3) Setting up presentations at local high schools in Florida to talk to their Junior/Senior students about our project and possible college/career opportunities within the STEM fields.<br /><br />Our project however will not be able to be successful without the support or sponsorship from outside organizations.&nbsp; Project: Daedalus is endorsed by the Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Central Florida, while also being sponsored by the Florida Space Grant Consortium and the Florida Space Institute.&nbsp; Any support towards our program would be greatly appreciated - either through financial support, the donation of materials/products, or the donation of time to help advise our efforts.&nbsp; A sponsorship package with more detailed information about the numerous benefits of sponsoring us is available on our website.&nbsp; A preliminary design proposal can also be provided if requested. <br /><br />If you have any general questions about our project, our design, or sponsorship opportunities, feel free to contact me any time or visit our website at http://www.projectdaedalus.com.&nbsp; For frequent updates, please also follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/ProjectDaedalus.<br /><br />Thank you in advance for your consideration,<br /><strong><br />Michael P. Green</strong><br />Project: Daedalus Executive Director<br />sedsucf@gmail.com<br />&nbsp;<br />http://www.projectdaedalus.com <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>--------------------</p><p>The Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program is an attempt to become the first ever independent student group to launch a rocket suborbitally into space.  For more information, please visit: http://www.projectdaedalus.com</p> </div>

P

ProjectDaedalus

My name is Michael P. Green and it is my proud honor to announce the <strong>Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program</strong>. <br /><br />Project: Daedalus is an attempt to become the first ever independent student organization to design and launch a sub-orbital sounding rocket.&nbsp; The Students for the Exploration and Development of Space Chapter at the University of Central Florida (SEDS-UCF) has undertook this endeavor to increase knowledge about rocketry, increase advocacy about space exploration, and provide a feasible reusable launch vehicle for scientific projects and research in the long run.&nbsp; Our program consists of about 70 interdisciplinary engineering and science students. <br /><br />This endeavor, while being quite ambitious, is a project we have each undertaken on our own time in order to gain valuable experience in the engineering field while conducting important scientific research.&nbsp; Our design consists of a hybrid (Nitrous Oxide/Polyethylene) single stage booster-dart launch vehicle with on-board video, telemetry and recovery systems.&nbsp; In the long run, we hope to design a low-cost, reusable launch vehicle to conduct sub-orbital scientific research for years to come.&nbsp; Current plans include the production of quarter-scale and full-scale hybrid motors, the launch of Daedalus III (full-scale vehicle launch to 250,000 feet in order to test electronics and communication systems) in late June/July 2009, and the launch of Daedalus IV (breaking the barrier of space) in December 2009.&nbsp; More about our project is available at http://www.projectdaedalus.com.<br /><br />Project: Daedalus is also in an effort to educate students about engineering, aerospace, and rocketry through special advocacy and outreach programs with local elementary and high schools.&nbsp; Our outreach consists of three primary programs:<br /><br />1) Sponsoring a contest to high school students to design a scientific research project to be launched as a payload for our next launch. Students will have to submit a proposal for a self-contained research project that will record data at an altitude of up to 250,000 feet.<br />2) Working through our sponsoring organization, The Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS-UCF), to work with local elementary schools and community groups to have science-related and rocket building workshops, increasing interest in science and technology.<br />3) Setting up presentations at local high schools in Florida to talk to their Junior/Senior students about our project and possible college/career opportunities within the STEM fields.<br /><br />Our project however will not be able to be successful without the support or sponsorship from outside organizations.&nbsp; Project: Daedalus is endorsed by the Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Central Florida, while also being sponsored by the Florida Space Grant Consortium and the Florida Space Institute.&nbsp; Any support towards our program would be greatly appreciated - either through financial support, the donation of materials/products, or the donation of time to help advise our efforts.&nbsp; A sponsorship package with more detailed information about the numerous benefits of sponsoring us is available on our website.&nbsp; A preliminary design proposal can also be provided if requested. <br /><br />If you have any general questions about our project, our design, or sponsorship opportunities, feel free to contact me any time or visit our website at http://www.projectdaedalus.com.&nbsp; For frequent updates, please also follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/ProjectDaedalus.<br /><br />Thank you in advance for your consideration,<br /><strong><br />Michael P. Green</strong><br />Project: Daedalus Executive Director<br />sedsucf@gmail.com<br />&nbsp;<br />http://www.projectdaedalus.com <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>--------------------</p><p>The Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program is an attempt to become the first ever independent student group to launch a rocket suborbitally into space.  For more information, please visit: http://www.projectdaedalus.com</p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Great stuff, maybe this could be moved to Missions and Launches, or Space business and technology or something where it will hang around for a bit longer. Unfortunately the open forum&nbsp;threads tend to resurface&nbsp;every day or so.</p><p>Good luck and all the best with the project :)</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>Great stuff, maybe this could be moved to Missions and Launches, or Space business and technology or something where it will hang around for a bit longer. Unfortunately the open forum&nbsp;threads tend to resurface&nbsp;every day or so.</p><p>Good luck and all the best with the project :)</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p>"User Announcements" and "Space, Business and Technology" would both be excellent places to post this.&nbsp; Posting the announcement in both and using the SB&T thread for commentary would, IMO, be within the general rules.</p><p>Posting it here is fine as well but pages tend to fly by in this forum and it will surely get lost without constant bumps. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p>"User Announcements" and "Space, Business and Technology" would both be excellent places to post this.&nbsp; Posting the announcement in both and using the SB&T thread for commentary would, IMO, be within the general rules.</p><p>Posting it here is fine as well but pages tend to fly by in this forum and it will surely get lost without constant bumps. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>*bump*</p><p>Thought id do this to keep it alive until someone moves it</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

B

BoJangles

<p>*bump*</p><p>Thought id do this to keep it alive until someone moves it</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#808080">-------------- </font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>Let me start out with the standard disclaimer ... I am an idiot, I know almost nothing, I haven’t taken calculus, I don’t work for NASA, and I am one-quarter Bulgarian sheep dog.  With that out of the way, I have several stupid questions... </em></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1" color="#808080"><em>*** A few months blogging can save a few hours in research ***</em></font></p> </div>

P

ProjectDaedalus

Thanks for the advice.&nbsp; I originally had this in the Announcements page, but it seemed like that forum was pretty dead so I put it here to get it to be seen more frequently.&nbsp; Not sure if moderators or anyone can move this to the Space Business forum, but if not, oh well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>--------------------</p><p>The Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program is an attempt to become the first ever independent student group to launch a rocket suborbitally into space.  For more information, please visit: http://www.projectdaedalus.com</p> </div>

P

ProjectDaedalus

Thanks for the advice.&nbsp; I originally had this in the Announcements page, but it seemed like that forum was pretty dead so I put it here to get it to be seen more frequently.&nbsp; Not sure if moderators or anyone can move this to the Space Business forum, but if not, oh well. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>--------------------</p><p>The Project: Daedalus Sub-Orbital Hybrid Rocket Program is an attempt to become the first ever independent student group to launch a rocket suborbitally into space.  For more information, please visit: http://www.projectdaedalus.com</p> </div>

S

spacelifejunkie

<p>Awesome stuff!&nbsp; I'm a high school physics teacher myself and the engineering/manufacturing teacher&nbsp; may be interested as well.&nbsp; I&nbsp;know of a few kids interested in aerospace that might like to&nbsp;participate. &nbsp;I'll check out the site.&nbsp; Send me a PM anytime.</p><p>SLJ</p>

S

spacelifejunkie

<p>Awesome stuff!&nbsp; I'm a high school physics teacher myself and the engineering/manufacturing teacher&nbsp; may be interested as well.&nbsp; I&nbsp;know of a few kids interested in aerospace that might like to&nbsp;participate. &nbsp;I'll check out the site.&nbsp; Send me a PM anytime.</p><p>SLJ</p>

M

marko_doda

Cause this is a community effort, which license will be the blueprints of the rocket?

M

marko_doda

Cause this is a community effort, which license will be the blueprints of the rocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts