proposed space-time experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vladius

According to einstien, a spinning mass will pull spacetime around with it, stretching it slightly as it spins. Could this be proven by creating a large gyroscope, and reflecting a laser onto its spinning surface? If Eienstiens theory holds, the laser, although perfectly aligned to reflect onto a predetermined point, ( you would need an incredibly precise gyroscope with a flawless reflective surface) would lose alignment as the rotational velocity increases. the spacetime around the spinning object would warp slightly displacing the beam slightly relative to the source and target. If this sounds about right, let me know.

V

vogon13

sounds like a job for Gravity Probe B <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

V

vladius

interesting....its good that theyre doing an experiment for that. my apporach is a quite different tho, and irrelevant of the earth. my approach would be a direct measurement of the spacetime displacement. That is if you could get a gyroscope to spin fast enough, and structurally sturdy enough not to fly to pieces at those speeds

B

bobvanx

Your experiment would measure how much the frame drag had "pulled" the light beam in the direction of the rotation.<br /><br />I'm pretty sure you'd need a really massive gyroscope to be able to detect this. I think there is a class of nuetron star which could stand in. You'd point the laser at the spinning surface, and detect where the spot contacted. By scanning the beam from pole to pole, you'd measure all sorts of interesting metrics.

5stone10

Hasn't this experiment been done already ? - I'm not sure if it was for Black Hole research or whatever. <br /><br />Or ... hasn't this already proven with Gravitational Lensing experiments ??

T

telfrow

I think it has been proven with gravitation lensing.<br /><br />Nice simulation of gravitational lensing here:<br /><br />http://www-ra.phys.utas.edu.au/~jlovell/simlens/<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

R

rogers_buck

It is my understanding that the effect has been detected in satellite tracking data collected over the decades. I think it was from the Smithsonian STADAD experiment that flew corner-cube reflectors on satellites. There was one of their stations on Mt. Hopkins. They had a Celestron equipped with a PMT and a q-switched, cabity dumped laser for blasting the satellite.<br /><br />Light is theorized to be a better way of causing frame dragging. There is an experiment that is planned that will use a rotating ring of laser light from several extremely powerfull laser to create a vortex. The experiment will then beam particles through the field to measure the effect. The intent is to leave the experiment on a long time and to look for particles from longer-term futures.

T

telfrow

<font color="yellow">There is an experiment that is planned that will use a rotating ring of laser light from several extremely powerfull laser to create a vortex. The experiment will then beam particles through the field to measure the effect. The intent is to leave the experiment on a long time and to look for particles from longer-term futures. </font><br /><br />Is this the same experiment that was mentioned on the "First Time Machine"? I saw that the other night. Can't remember where. Particles sent down the vortex supposedly go back in time? (According to the theory, at least.) <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

R

rogers_buck

Yes, I came in towards the end of that. I was contemplating sending messages from the future at the time... I was so moved by the coincidence that I posted the "Future Proof" thread. I didn't know the name of the program.<br /><br />Since you saw the program, is the PI really H.G. Wells grandson?<br />

T

telfrow

That's what he said. At one point, he claimed he was the individual responsible for the last re-make of "The Time Machine." I didn't watch the credits to make sure though.<br /><br />A very interesting watch. Blew my mind. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts