Putting a shield on mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dtheweatherman99

ok, in a revent article, i saw that the martian apmosphere is losing atmosphere because of solar wind reacting directly with the atmosphere and "dragging" the martian atmosphere away. this dosent happen on earth because of our strong magnetic feild. now, if we where to put a atomic/other powered magnetic field generator into orbit beween the sun and mars in order to allow mars to not lose its valuable atmosphere, would it be possible? How much energy are we talking about in order to create a magnetic field that is large enough to block a planet?

M

mental_avenger

It wouldn't work. Anything in orbit between the Sun and Mars would orbit at a faster orbital speed.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

B

bobvanx

If Mars has an L1 point, it would work. But I recall something about Mar's lack of Libration points, how the sunward one was too close to Earth's orbit and would get disrupted.<br /><br />Memory mine, faulty possibly.

M

mental_avenger

A stable larange point is in the same orbit as Mars, and so would be useless for this purpose. There is an unstable lagrange point. L1, but for Mars it is relatively weak. It is unlikely that any satelite could be made to maintain station at that point.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Our Solar System must be passing through a Non Sequitur area of space.</strong></font></p> </div>

B

bobvanx

That is a very cool graphic on the superhighway page!<br /><br />This also clears up a misconception I had. I thought LaGrange points specifically meant the stable/semistable places in the Earth/Moon/Sun system. I didn't realize that these halo-orbit attractors in all cases have been named LaGrange points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts