Quantum Entanglement - Possible on the Macro Level - Agreed terms assist sensible discussion

Catastrophe

The devil is in the detail
Feb 18, 2020
Last edited:
Reactions: sam85geo
Dec 9, 2020
Einstein's concept that quantum entanglement did not exist was refuted by an experiment proposed by the Irish physicist John Bell which when finally performed demonstrated that one particle could be entangled with another even separated by distance. I.E.: There existed a mechanism that connected one particle's quantum state to another particle's quantum state. The standard example is a two spinning wheels of different colors, if wheel #1 displays color red then wheel #2 displays color green and vice versa, always. Now here's the question: Can such an entanglement mechanism exist/operate on the macro level of our existence? Here's just one puzzling example. A novice to the horse racing scene, bets on a horse with the comment "I just know he'll win"; and he does. This happens 4 times. "Communication" between species? or just random "dumb" luck?. I favor the latter, (and not because my wife would not share her winnings). So what is the physical mechanism of quantum entanglement or "spooky action at a distance"? At the particle level? Is such precluded at the macro level by the nature of biological life?

Reactions: Catastrophe
Dec 9, 2020
Given that our Universe is basically a very complex "machine" that produces things, animate and inanimate. At the quantum level, particles can be entwined as illustrated above. The result of one outcome has always the a same result on the entwined other, Really nifty stuff. However, what is the mechanism causing particles to entwine and can that mechanism operate/exist at the macro level of biological life? Consider a machine on a factory floor, "turn the crank, set the dials" and so many widgets are produced, some "good" and some "bad". The outcome probability of this operation can be monitored/predicted by the binomial statistical distribution. To me this seems analogous entanglement. Of course, extension to biological life of entanglement or mechanical operations, is indeed a stretch. Any opinions, insights and references are welcome.

Jul 4, 2021
The ramifications, if possible would be a fundamental revolution in our understanding of nature. Transforming our lives in ways we can't imagine. It would make Hubbles discovery of an expanding universe, (a transcendental paradigm shift in its own right.), seem pale by comparison. The only thing that would be more incredible, more shocking, would be if we could macronize a successful application of the "Star shot initiative". That would allow us to literally colonize the solar system in a decade.

Dec 9, 2020
@ Patrick. Wow, such an outcome and ramifications I never contemplated. I'm trying to see if there might be an "edge" to the grubby, greedy, mundane business of wagering, other than a "fix", a gambler's middle or "dumb luck". I admit that I just might be "barking up the wrong tree" which seems maybe to be the biggest tree in the "forest".

Jul 4, 2021
@ Patrick. Wow, such an outcome and ramifications I never contemplated. I'm trying to see if there might be an "edge" to the grubby, greedy, mundane business of wagering, other than a "fix", a gambler's middle or "dumb luck". I admit that I just might be "barking up the wrong tree" which seems maybe to be the biggest tree in the "forest".
I have had ADHD my entire life. As far as I know. When I get excited about my passions, (all things space science), I have a tendency to overdue it. Sometimes, my thought process can be interpreted as disjointed. A non-sequitor if you will. I appreciate everyone patience. Thank you

Dec 9, 2020
I have had ADHD my entire life. As far as I know. When I get excited about my passions, (all things space science), I have a tendency to overdue it. Sometimes, my thought process can be interpreted as disjointed. A non-sequitor if you will. I appreciate everyone patience. Thank you
Thanks Patrick for pointing out some obvious implications of entanglement at the macro level. There was no non-sequitor in your post; I appreciated your feedback which was helpful.

Dec 9, 2020
Report: I've done some "experiments", which might be considered a overt abuse of the term, since my initial post. I tried fitting some equations to gaming numbers, doing some "wack-a-doodle" correlations, and trying to identify gaming machine faults. My conclusion is that on a macro level entanglement doesn't happen; gaming outcomes, in a fair device/equally probable conditions are random. The knowing guess at a race track or that last dollar in a slot machine that goes jackpot, etc. is simply blind random luck, the machinations of cheaters notwithstanding. OK, it costs me a few dollars, but it actually was a fun project. My thanks to Cat and Patrick for their assistance and insights. That's all Folks for this thread.

Dec 9, 2020
Just a late follow up post for general interest. Take a look at web site: worldscienceu.com, course "Probing Gravity's Secrets through Quantum Entanglement" by Mark van Raamsdonk. It's and easy, understandable, short course. with surprising implications for reality.

ASK THE COMMUNITY