Question about an anomaly I saw during recent EVA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

superluminal

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/070204_exp14_eva3wrap.html<br /><br />Great space work EVA.<br /><br />I watched intensely during the recent spacewalk and the last hour of the spacewalk from Williams helmet camera, I saw an object pass extremely close from behind Williams and disappear away from her at a fast rate of speed.<br /><br /><br />The anomaly I viewed only lasted about two seconds and the gray square object that I saw rotated about twice clockwise before it disappeared.<br /><br />Then, directly after I saw it, the object reversed it's trajectory as if someone had reversed the camera action to review it.<br /><br />I was wondering, if anyone else saw anything peculiar approximately an hour before they re-entered the station? <br /><br />It occurred during the time Alegria was working on the his final connections and he was visible from EVA 2's or Williams helmet camera. <br /><br />I'm positive, I saw something pass close to the station at extreme speed.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

S

superluminal

Can you get a screen capture and upload it for us? <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />I certainly wish I was privy to such a video.<br /><br />I was not recording at the time and I was hoping someone else had a video.<br /><br />I know I saw something and it was definitely a physical object moving fast. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

S

superluminal

I see your point and I did consider both of those theories.<br />Truth is , I really don't know it was and I wouldn't intentionally waste anyones valuable time. <br /><br />But here's the reason I elaborate further..<br /><br />At the time, I was intensely close to the screen and watching EVA 1, through EVA 2's helmet camera.<br /><br />Suddenly, The right rotating square object zoomed past in a straight vector from behind and over her left shoulder into view, then quickly disappeared into the blackness out of sight.<br />My best guesstimate was approximately ten meters above EVA 1's feet.<br />Then there was like a 2 second frame freeze ( while I uttered in shock of ( what tha ?)<br /><br />Then, suddenly, the anomaly re-appeared in exact reverse vector rotating counter-clockwise tracing the same path except in opposite direction.<br /><br />It just appeared to move too fast to be a tethered object.<br />But I do realize, It may have been just that.<br /><br />Eva 2's helmet camera remained still through the entire 5 or 6 seconds. <br />I don't think it was a trick of light. It was square, rotating, gray and fast.<br /><br />It just zoomed by and disappeared into the center of her camera reference. then zoomed back in an exact reverse vector after a two second disappearance.<br /><br />thanks for replying.<br /><br />Those brave astronauts do remarkable work.<br />I'm looking forward to Thursdays EVA.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

V

vogon13

I have a couple of hours of spacewalk eva in my TIVO right now, but I need a little more information on when this happened.<br /><br />What part of the ISS is visible when this happens? What percentage of the TV screen is black space and what percentage is ISS?<br /><br />Is there a lot of wire bundles running vertically or horizontally? Can you see the solar panels, are they retracting, or are they retracted? Can you see a Soyuz or Progress in the back ground? What color is the main part of the ISS visible during this scene? White, gold, aluminum, dark thermal blankets?<br /><br />Maybe with just a bit more info we can pin this down.<br /><br />If I can find the scene, I can snap a picture with my cell phone and put it on my PC and load it here in this thread.<br /><br />If any one has a replay on video tape or TIVO, maybe you can time the occurence to NASA-TV headers they usually run on the hour.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

W

willpittenger

Is the stuff on your TIVO accessable from the computer? Some are. If so, you could skip the cell phone. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

I find it unlikely that frozen ammonia could become a nice square piece unless molded somehow. Still... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

B

bpfeifer

"I find it unlikely that frozen ammonia could become a nice square piece unless molded somehow. Still..."<br /><br />Ammonia naturally has a cubic crystaline shape. In Microgravity, this form is even more likely to manifest. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Brian J. Pfeifer http://sabletower.wordpress.com<br /> The Dogsoldier Codex http://www.lulu.com/sabletower<br /> </div>

S

saurc

Solid ammonia is crystalline, it would form a whole cluster of crystals, not a large grey box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts