Question about curvature of space

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

op684

I'm new to physics but very curious about it. I'm 18, and probably will also include physics as my second major in college. A topic that has always bothered me is the curvature of space. If space is curved, due to the planets and stars, then why don't the rays of the sun curve around the earth and pass it, instead of penetrating the atmosphere as they do? That's just one question I have regarding curvature of space. I'll post more very soon.

M

MeteorWayne

Welcome to Space.com!<br /><br />The quick answer is that the mass of the earth is so small that the deflection of light caused by that curvature is amazingly small.<br /><br />The eath is about 0.03% of the mass of the solar system.<br /><br />We are but dust in the wind.<br /><br />Only the Sun and Jupiter are massive enough to create a measurable deflection of the light path due to the curvatude of space. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

O

op684

Hey Wayne, thanks for the response. I kind of expected the answer. So, on Jupiter, the rays would be deflected? Also, is there any way to measure HOW MUCH the space is curved around an object?

M

MeteorWayne

The rays are deflected by all objects with mass.<br />Even the earth, your car, your dog or cat.<br /><br />The thing is for objects less massive than Jupiter, the deflection is too small to be measured.<br /><br />I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, the teeny weeny deflection from Jupiter (which is 75% of the mass of the solar system, not including the sun) was only measured withing the last 20 years.<br /><br />The deflection from the sun (which is much more massive/ hence more deflection) was measured during a solar elipse over 50 years ago. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts