Question about how moons affect calendars and tides

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RaaviNovel

I am co writing a novel with a friend. We are trying to get behind some of the science in our fantasy world because we want it to be believable. We decided we wanted our moon to have 16 cycles in our yearly calendar essentially creating 16 months. There are 4 seasons same as Earth, so we have two solstices and two equinoxes. We also want four moons (lunar phases or perhaps I mean lunar cycles?) per season which creates our 16 months in the year. 4 is kind of the holy number in our society much as 7 has been on Earth so we were thinking that there are only 24 days per moon (month). So 24 days per month and 16 months equals 384 days per year.

My main question is how plausible is this? What do we need to know about this situation. Does this mean our moon is smaller or bigger than Earth's moon? Or perhaps this scenario can allow for two moon? We don't know enough about what the moon does for Earth to be able to create something scientifically explainable on our fictional planet.

Also our story takes place only on one part of the planet and no other part of the world is talked about. The location of our story is about the size of the US with the only accessible ocean to the south of the land with impassable mountains on the east north and west. So how would the moons affect the tides of our ocean to the south?

I know this is a lot of stuff and perhaps you need more knowledge to answer the questions but any information at all will help us. We don't want our novel to be unrealistic when it comes to our setting.

C

Captain_Salty

just realise the length of the earths year in days is determined by the number of times it rotates during one orbit of the sun, its axial tilt and position in orbit controls the seasons, and the moons orbital period has no connection with either of these. So we can't base our calendar on the moon.
But by some cosmic coincidence they could all be synchronised together in a science fiction novel :)
if the moon orbited once every 24 days then i think it would have to be closer to earth and so have a stronger influence on tides. a lot depends on how similar your earth and moon are to ours in terms of mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts