Question about node 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nacnud

Node 2 is going to be attached to destiny where the pressurised mating adapter that the shuttle uses now is, how is this going to happen when the shuttle is docked? Is the Node going to be attached somewhere else then once the shuttle leaves moved into place?<br />

S

SpaceKiwi

I think there's a second PMA attached to Unity. IIRC that's where they will dock for the Node 2 mission. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

E

elguapoguano

Correct, there is another PMA that is attached to the Nadir (port facing Earth) port of Unity (Node 1). The PMA currently attached to Destiny will be removed and reattached to end end of Node 2. Future Shuttle missions would then attached to the PMA of Node 2. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ff0000"><u><em>Don't let your sig line incite a gay thread ;>)</em></u></font> </div>

L

larper

The PMA attached to the nadir port has to be moved to the starboard port first, though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Vote </font><font color="#3366ff">Libertarian</font></strong></p> </div>

E

elguapoguano

Shuttle guy. Node 2 wasn't deleted in that revision of ISS complete. It was Node 3 which was listed as deleted (and pretty much as been for a while now). Node 2 is where ESA's Columbus and Japan's Kibo is supposed to be attached. <br /><br />http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/assembly/elements/node2/index.html <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ff0000"><u><em>Don't let your sig line incite a gay thread ;>)</em></u></font> </div>

B

bpcooper

Yes, it's Node 3 that is being deleted for the 16 flight manifest.<br /><br />Only 5 of the 16 are to be main assembly flights, which are Node 2, Kibo, Columbus and two arrays (one array would be scrapped from the station). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

D

davp99

I Guess no one has a Complete list of the Final Assembly stages to be added... i know a lot of them are "Under Review" ...But is Node 2 still on the list ??<br /><br />Heres Hoping that some of the Mods can be maybe flown by other Launch Systems...like the Cupola for instance..... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="4">Dave..</font> </div>

B

bpcooper

Yes, Node 2 is still slated to be launched aboard STS-120. It must be in place to add both Columbus and Kibo, and those are commited to launch at this point because of parterships and politics basically (not to mention they are built and at KSC ready to go). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

Well, that is the $64 question I guess. We will have to see how things shake out with the current engineering reviews before we will have something set in stone as it were.<br /><br />Certainly the prevailing mood seems to revolve around cutting back Shuttle missions, and I think Griffin himself has mentioned the approx 16 flight manifest as something worth serious consideration.<br /><br />However, time has an interesting way of changing perspective. And, I'm one of those who thinks relatively trouble-free operation of Shuttle in the next 3-4 years will do much to bring some of the 'threatened' or 'cancelled' missions back onto the manifest. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

V

vt_hokie

<font color="yellow"><i>"However, time has an interesting way of changing perspective. And, I'm one of those who thinks relatively trouble-free operation of Shuttle in the next 3-4 years will do much to bring some of the 'threatened' or 'cancelled' missions back onto the manifest."</i></font><br /><br />Perhaps, but here's a question that I have. The 16 flight option deletes one of the four large U.S. solar arrays, which were to all be installed prior to Node 2. If they do eliminate one set of arrays, will they be able to add it later after the additional modules have been installed? Or will those modules prevent access to the array locations by the RMS system? <br /><br />Also, if they do eliminate one set of arrays, I assume that means the one set currently on the station will remain "above" Node 1, with the next two installed on the ends of the "side" truss structures. I wonder if that configuration change will result in any problems with solar torques or c.g. location.

B

bpcooper

I hope so. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

I need to further investigate the suggested manifest changes, along with the construction plan, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to reinstate installation of the 4th set of solar arrays. The SSRMS can roll along the Main Truss from a pick-up point above Destiny.<br /><br />However there might be 'CG' considerations if the 4th set of arrays is not deployed? With only three sets of arrays they might consider leaving the existing set on the Z1 Truss above Unity, and the two new sets deployed port and starboard on the Main Truss? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

B

bpcooper

I thought of that, but they could cast shadows acorss P6 then. I think they need to be in plane with each other. On 115 and 117 when they attach the other arrays, each side of P6 is folded up for that reason.<br /><br />Here is the diagram nasawatch obtained showing what gets cut (bright red). Of course we know all those Russian modules, especially the SPM, were never going. But the array, Node 3 and the US Hab modules are among the major subtractions:<br /><br />http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=17990 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

Thanks Ben. Obviously there is not a critical mass distribution problem under this revised assembly plan as there will be the two arrays on the port side and only one on starboard.<br /><br />I still believe there wouldn't be any problem in installing the 4th set of arrays out of sequence with the original construction plan, given its position on the starboard end of the Main Truss. I can't see anything getting in the road of it from an installation point of view? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts