Question regarding orbit & structures in space

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drusillus

Got a question regarding the current Space Elevator concept.

How do you keep something in orbit with it locked in a position relative to Earth? The Space Station orbits Earth every 90 minutes I believe. If I understand it correctly, the station orbit & shuttle I assume is really the object 'falling' at an angle and speed keeping it from falling to Earth?

Is this type of orbit required? If so, how would a space elevator stay stationary?

P

pleed

Drusillus":2x71asu8 said:
Got a question regarding the current Space Elevator concept.

How do you keep something in orbit with it locked in a position relative to Earth? The Space Station orbits Earth every 90 minutes I believe. If I understand it correctly, the station orbit & shuttle I assume is really the object 'falling' at an angle and speed keeping it from falling to Earth?

Is this type of orbit required? If so, how would a space elevator stay stationary?

The theory is that centripetal force of the earth turning on its axis would keep a structure such as a space elevator up in what is called geosynchronous orbit. Issues such as developing strong and versatile materials for a tether, and placement of a counter weight also has to be solved.

T

tampaDreamer

As someone was kind enough to point out in another space elevator thread, looking up "Geostationary Orbit" on wikipedia can help explain a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS