Rare SpaceX rocket failure shows exactly why NASA wants 2 commercial options to fly astronauts to ISS

NASA really needs 2 reliable options, not one that is usually reliable and one that is constantly finding problems (i.e., SpaceX and Boeing).

Based on Boeing's troubled performance with the Starliner development, plus its continuing performance problems with its aircraft and the Federal Government's decision to charge it with a felony for not improving its safety culture, I don't see how NASA can ever rely on a Boeing capsule to be ready to pick up the slack whenever SpaceX has something the FAA calls a "mishap".

I suggest that NASA start funding Sierra Space to develop a crewed version of its DreamChaser spacecraft. If/when that gets to operational mode, its ability to land on regular airport runways would give it a serious operational advantage over anything else now envisioned. So, supporting it would provide advancement in the technology as well as better reliability of astronaut mission scheduling.

Latest posts