Recommended eyepiece to see planets

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danielcohn3736

I just bought my first telescope, an Orion SpaceBlast 450 mm f/4 reflector. It comes with 17 mm and a 6 mm Kellner eyepieces. I was somehow disappointed with the planets apparent size, even with the 6 mm I see Saturn and Mars as small specks - I had expected to see larger images with more details, Cassini division, etc.<br />What do you recommend I get? Won't a higher power eyepiece kill my field of vision? Will a Barlow help beyond 2x?<br /><br />Thanks a lot,<br /><br />Daniel

N

nevers

Hi Daniel,<br /><br />First, Welcome to SDC! I think you mean "StarBlast", right? and not SpaceBlast? If so, that 'scope is designed to have a wide-field view and not so much for observing the planets. Orion also sells a "SpaceProbe" but I am not aware of a "SpaceBlast". In either case, I think a Barlow would improve your images but probably not to the point that you're really expecting. More magnification will narrow your FOV but in turn will bring out more detail on certain objects. Hope that helps somewhat and others may have some better suggestions. Enjoy the ride!

D

danielcohn3736

Absolutely, it's a StarBlast. So do you recommend a higher power eyepiece? Any specific type and size?

Status
Not open for further replies.