'Ring of fire' solar eclipse 2021: Path, viewing maps and photo guide

I was able to observe some of this solar eclipse event at sunrise this morning. An ethereal experience viewing the Sun and Moon using my telescope. Notes from my stargazing log.

[Observed 0530-0615 EDT/0930 UT - 1015 UT. New Moon 10-Jun-2021 1053 UT. Sunrise at my location this morning 0541 EDT/0941 UT. I was able to view this solar eclipse today using 32-mm plossl eyepiece with glass, white light solar filter at 31x using the 90-mm refractor telescope. The Sun was high enough by 0552 EDT/0952 UT, just above a distant tree line that the celestial event was visible in my telescope. The black, silhouette shape of the Moon very distinct and obvious as the Sun rose. Altocumulus cloud bands in the distance moved by making for an ethereal experience and view. There was some unevenness or slight bumps along the lunar disk visible too at 31x. Sunspots AR2832 and AR2829 reported this morning at spaceweather.com but difficult because of altocumulus bands moving by the view, the Moon’s dark shape much easier to see. After 0613 EDT/1013 UT, more altocumulus bands moved in covering the Sun completely. Skies became mostly cloudy at my location, so I packed up and enjoyed breakfast and morning coffee. While the skies were partly cloudy at sunrise, I was able to enjoy some of this solar eclipse event. The 17-year cicada were out and getting louder. I viewed from a large horse farm field with good view of Eastern sky. A distant tree line did not interfere much with the early morning observations as the Sun and Moon rose above the trees near 0552 EDT. NWS EMI winds aloft 12000, 030/06 knots and 18000, 350/06 knots reported. Surface temperature at my location 21C and surface winds 320/04 knots, humidity near 95% so some ground fog too in the pastures. The telescope true FOV ~ 96 arcminute at 31x, The Sun’s angular size ~ 31.5 arcminute, the Moon’s angular size ~ 29.7 arcminute.]

Latest posts