RIVERWORLD. On SYFY this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

I've been seeing Riverworld advertised on SYFY for the past few weeks. It will be a 4 hour event on SYFY this Sunday starting at 7pm Eastern time. The ads look fairly good. I loved the book, it is one of my all time favorites. Wonder if SYFY will do it justice? I'll be at work so I will be setting it up to record.

S

StarRider1701

I'm totally surprised that no one else had any comment on RiverWorld. It was a very good book and for once the SyFy channel did a pretty good job with the show. They followed the book pretty well, modernized some of the characters a bit, but overall I'd have to say, "Good Job."

I didn't really get to watch last Sunday when it came on, but I taped it and just finished watching. Am I really the only one on all of SDC who watched RiverWorld?!? That would surprise me. If you didn't watch and get the chance, watch it. If you liked the book...

C

CommonMan

I wanted to see it, but forgot about it till the last 5 minutes of it. So what is the story line? Apparently they are dead, what is with the green woman? Can you give me the basic story?

S

StarRider1701

I'm guessing this means you didn't read the Book? I recommend you reading RiverWorld rather than me telling you about the show.

M

Mee_n_Mac

So I take it this version was better than the 2003 version that Sci Fi did ?

C

CommonMan

Mee_n_Mac":210l30j4 said:
So I take it this version was better than the 2003 version that Sci Fi did ?

Thank You. I only seen maybe one of the shows in 2003 and almost forgot it. When I saw the last 5 min of this new one I was sure it was familar. I remember the boat, Mark Twain. Damn I'm getting old, getting harder to remember old shows, but I still remember Rachel Welch in One Million Years B.C. ;)

H

HRacct

CommonMan,

I was looking to see if anyone was going to comment on this new version of Riverworld. I have not read the book, but did see the 03 show, and was totally confused by it. When the question was raised here, most people at the time said Sci/Fi, (at that time), did the usual hatchet job on the book.

But I did also see the new show and was impressed by it as well. But the storyline really did not spike much interest in me after a while.

Y

yevaud

I have to agree. I watched it (mostly), and it bored me as well. Not precisely Farmer's vision of Riverworld, I thought.

I regret SyFy does have a tendency to take something good and dumb it down a trifle to much. For example, I liked Children of Dune, but also found it to be somehow lacking...

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":vck5mhyh said:
I have to agree. I watched it (mostly), and it bored me as well. Not precisely Farmer's vision of Riverworld, I thought.

You're right, it was not exactly like the book. But then even a 4 hour event was not nearly enough time to precisely convey the complexities, trials and tribulations of the book. True, they did leave some things out, but what was there did follow the story for the most part. One thing I didn't remember being in the book (could be wrong) was the notion that the Earth was gone - destroyed.

For anyone who has not read RiverWorld, please do so. It is a good book, well worth the read.

H

HRacct

Yevaud,

I just went to the site you posted and read the synopsis of the first book. That does appear to be more interesting then what I was viewing on T.V. the other night. But this new version was a LOT better then what I remembered of the old one. I may just have to check it out.

I also was watching about the only Steven King series the other night that I care to watch. But I did see something I should have seen from the other times this time. Interestingly enough, it was about time, and the Langonleers, (sorry about the spelling). The fast and friendly critters were the time eaters that took care of the past time events when people moved on, or that was what I gathered from the show. How would you like to go back in time and find them chewing up everything around you? How many others out there liked that show? No intention to try and hijack this thread though.

There was also a somewhat simular Twilight Zone show about two people being stuck between time, and the blue suited caretakers that built the new time frames for the next minute, and so on, that was interesting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts