Rumors: reduced shuttle flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radarredux

More rumors on the remaining number of shuttle flights and an accelerated shuttle retirement effort.<br /><br />From a NASA internal memo:<br />http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2005/08/kicking_costs_d.html#more<br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>SOMD did generate estimates that indicated the budget was insufficient to fund the planned 28 flight manifest. ... OMB provided draft passback language that the issue should be addressed in the FY06 budget by reducing the Shuttle manifest to 15 flights to be consistent with the funds available in the budget<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />And then from NASA Spaceflight<br />http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=400&posts=4<br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Just in from our Russian writer with RIA - claiming he has quotes from Russian officials that NASA is in talks with them in regards to a reduction in ISS requirements and STS to end in 2008/09 - staggered retirement of the fleet.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />We have heard both these stories before, so nothing dramatically new. However, by hearing the same stories again from different sources, and perhaps sources closer to decision makers, it at least lends credence that these ideas are really being discussed.

W

wvbraun

Well, it has been clear for a while now that there will be less than 20 flights and that Griffin wants the fleet to be retired no later than 2010 at all costs. No surprises here. If the 2008/2009 retirement date is correct that's good news.

K

kdavis007

That means there will be no Hubble servicing mission.... Heh heh heh heh heh

S

shuttle_rtf

>That means there will be no Hubble servicing mission.... Heh heh heh heh heh <<br /><br />Griffin at the AIAA via the spaceref.com speech advance: "If feasible, we will conduct a mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope. But we will no longer adhere to a plan requiring a fixed number of Shuttle flights. Instead, we will be prepared to complete ISS assembly using the Shuttle's successor, should that be required."

S

shuttle_rtf

>Just in from our Russian writer with RIA - claiming he has quotes from Russian officials that NASA is in talks with them in regards to a reduction in ISS requirements and STS to end in 2008/09 - staggered retirement of the fleet.<<br /><br />Given rumours aren't much use to anyone, I've asked Sergi not to file that story with us until he has the quotes he mentions for the article. Still won't mean it's true - given the Russians are getting a bit "mouthy" over the STS since they offered a Soyuz for sale, but I think it's a given that it's no way going to be 28 flights...I don't think it's been 28 flights since last year.

S

shuttle_man

"That means there will be no Hubble servicing mission.... Heh heh heh heh heh"<br /><br />I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts