Russia says its Luna-25 lunar lander has crashed into the moon

"Roscosmos boss Yuri Borisov had said the venture would be 'risky', telling President Vladimir Putin face to face in June that the probability of it succeeding was 'around 70 percent'." (from that other Internet site)

I wonder how much international politics is pushing scientists into schedules that they find uncomfortable and more risky than desired.

It would be nice if humans could get together and work collectively to explore space. But, it seems that progress has mostly been coming from geopolitical adversaries getting into politically motivated "races".

Maybe things will change, now that their is serious commercial incentive to develop space capabilities and facilities. But, maybe we will just substitute "races" by commercial competitors for races between governments.

Anyway, condolences to the Russian scientists who worked on the Luna 25 project.

And best wishes for the Indian group as they attempt the same, risky feat in the next few days.

Reactions: Pogo and COLGeek
If Russian academia and engineering had been supported likes ours over the last 5 decades, we would have some very serious competition. In many fields. I don't believe this was a failure of talent but a failure of support and resources. Just an opinion.

If Russian academia and engineering had been supported likes ours over the last 5 decades, we would have some very serious competition. In many fields. I don't believe this was a failure of talent but a failure of support and resources. Just an opinion.
I agree that Russian science and rocket manufacture is not second class.

But, while funding levels are always important constraints, there is also the goal-setting actions of the political parts of the system that affect what projects get whatever funding is available.

The U.S. reached the Moon with humans first, and that was the goal achieved, so the U.S. went to low Earth orbit continuous occupancy as the next goal. I guess the idea was to make a robust system before going to the Moon in a more continuous manner, but that tended to eat-up all of the available funding. Apollo got cannibalized by the Space Shuttle, which is now providing parts for SLS. The continuous Earth orbit occupancy needed a flexible, reliable and cost-effective launch system, and the Space Shuttle just wasn't it. It looks like SpaceX has finally delivered reusability with an entirely different approach than the Russian or American governments worked on.

At least some funding was provided for non-human payloads, such as Mars and beyond probes, plys Webb. But, that too was long delayed.

If China had not stated its goal of going to the Moon, I don't think Artemis would be getting scheduled for this decade. China has the scientists, R&D capabilities and manufacturing infrastructure to succeed, and maybe pretty quickly, because they have the political control and desire for putting Chinese on the Moon.

I just hope neither the Chinese nor the Americans push their schedules too hard and end up with fatal blunders. That is the type of outcome that tends to damage the political will to get the project done.

(from that other Internet site:)

"The engine supposed to put the spacecraft into pre-landing orbit 'worked for 127 instead of the planned 84 seconds. This was the main cause of the probe's crash,' Borisov explained."

"The chief of the Russian space agency Roscosmos on Monday advocated for Russia to stay in the lunar race, a day after announcing its mission had crashed."

That makes it sound like there is some internal talk about not trying again. It certainly doesn't sound like they have more equipment waiting in the wings for another attempt. I wonder if they will decide to "join" with the Chinese to save money (and "face"}.

Latest posts