Russian MRM-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJay_A

Am I wrong to say that NASA should have bought its way out of launching MRM-1 on the shuttle for Russia?

Of all the shuttle missions, the one carrying MRM-1 for Russia should have been reprogrammed for some other ISS hardware needing a lift but has since been cancelled (like Japan's CAM).

Like MRM-2, Russia has the launch systems necessary to get the MRM-1 to ISS. NASA is launching MRM-1 as shuttle cargo as a result of a barter agreement with Russia years ago. But with the shuttle retiring soon, tough decisions were made as to what shuttle missions to go on with and which to scrap.

Simple logic says scrap any mission that could be achieved without the shuttle. And MRM-1, like its sibling MRM-2, can launch on Russian systems. To free itself from its contractual obligation with Russia, NASA could have offered to pay Russia to launch it themselves.

Am I wrong?

M

MeteorWayne

What is MRM-1?

Perhaps you could provide a link so the readers know what you are talking about?

J

JonClarke

Since none of the cancelled modules are advanced enough to fly and there is no funding to complete or operate them, why bother? CAM is just a shell sitting outdoors in a car park.

P

PJay_A

JonClarke":fn4b5ggn said:
Since none of the cancelled modules are advanced enough to fly and there is no funding to complete or operate them, why bother? CAM is just a shell sitting outdoors in a car park.

I thought CAM was completed? Any way, I get nervous every time they launch the shuttle. If an entire mission can be scrapped in favor of using alternative means, I say scrap the mission. I feel STS-132 is too risky because it's payload can launch without the shuttle. By the way, I said the same thing about the Columbia mission months before that mission which ended in tragedy! I said that mission was unnecessary because that research could be done at ISS when station construction advances and greater risk is added when using the shuttle for non-station construction related missions.

J

JonClarke

MLM 1 is cofigured for launch on the Shuttle. It would take years to reconfigure it for launch on Soyuz and then slot it into the schedule. You want to delay completion of the the ISS still more?

Jon

P

PJay_A

JonClarke":320lxkp4 said:
MLM 1 is cofigured for launch on the Shuttle. It would take years to reconfigure it for launch on Soyuz and then slot it into the schedule. You want to delay completion of the the ISS still more?

Jon

No. Obviously it's too late now, but what I am saying is that they should have made the change when there was still time to do so Post Columbia.

Z

Zipi

PJay_A":275bw3nl said:
JonClarke":275bw3nl said:

Jon

No. Obviously it's too late now, but what I am saying is that they should have made the change when there was still time to do so Post Columbia.

Currently MRM-1 is pretty much the same as MPLM's, meaning empty shell with lot's of cargo to ISS. My opinion is that this is pretty good way to have "a new room" to ISS and carry some cargo with it. Basically it will be similar flight as the last one with Leonardo module (STS-128).

Current plan for MLM is Proton launch at December 2011, but let's see... I'm getting pretty nervous about this since it keeps moving later and later...

M

MarkStanaway

Just to clarify the issue:
MRM stands for Mini Research Module.
These are 4 tonne class modules and will be attached to the nadir facing port of Zaraya (MRM-1) and the zenith facing port of Zvezdaya (MRM-2). MRM-1 will be packed with equipment for installation in the MLM.
MLM stands for Multipurpose Laboratory Module
This is a 20 tonne class research laboratory that will be attached to the nadir facing port of Zvezdaya presently occupied by Pirs which will be detached and become the first ISS module to be decommissioned.
The MLM is actually the backup module for Zaraya the original ISS component and was known as FGB 2. It was originally built in the late 90's and has been in storage all this time. As the MLM it will become Russia's principle research module on the ISS.

P

PJay_A

MarkStanaway":3plkpa8z said:
Just to clarify the issue:
MRM stands for Mini Research Module.
These are 4 tonne class modules and will be attached to the nadir facing port of Zaraya (MRM-1) and the zenith facing port of Zvezdaya (MRM-2). MRM-1 will be packed with equipment for installation in the MLM.
MLM stands for Multipurpose Laboratory Module
This is a 20 tonne class research laboratory that will be attached to the nadir facing port of Zvezdaya presently occupied by Pirs which will be detached and become the first ISS module to be decommissioned.
The MLM is actually the backup module for Zaraya the original ISS component and was known as FGB 2. It was originally built in the late 90's and has been in storage all this time. As the MLM it will become Russia's principle research module on the ISS.

It's amazing. I've been following the station program since it was first created in the 1980's. I've watched in disguss as plans for the station kept shrinking from its original huge "Dual Keel" configuration (with 4 node modules and truss segments arranged in a "figure-8" configuration) to the much smaller "I-beam" configuration (current, but with larger American section and no Russian segment) to the yet smaller Alpha configuration. Reacting to Congressional budget cuts, then-NASA Administrator Dick Truly ordered a reduction of size to the planned module that became Destiny. ESA followed NASA's lead and did the same (reducing the size) for its Columbus module. Later, future funds for completing Nodes 2 & 3, the Hab module, and the Crew Rescue Vehicle were becoming uncertain.

President Clinton merged Alpha with Russia's planned MIR-2 station. Later, former NASA Administrator Dan Goldin regained some of the station's cut capacity through barter deals with other nations' space agencies. Nodes 2 & 3 (Harmony & Tranquility) were now being built by the Italian Space agency for NASA, instead of by Boeing (which built Unity), and were much larger in volume than what Boeing was building. In recent years, Russia began a healthy stream of funding for new modules on their side, with funding now secure for MRM-1, MRM-2, MLM, and plans (unfunded) for modules beyond MLM's 2011 launch. Just a few months ago, the Italian Space Agency announced they reached an agreement with NASA that will add (during STS-133) yet another new permanent module to ISS: the Permanent Logistics Module. Looks like much of the cut capacity of the station somehow crept back in!

I wonder (regardless of NASA's focus on the Constellation Program for the future of its Manned Spaceflight budget) if ISS will expand yet more. Russia's unfunded plans for expansion on their side after MLM calls for the addition of a new Node Module (NM). The NM would have multiple docking ports that would allow for aggressive Russian-side expansion. It also would be one of the smallest modules and less costly Russian modules to develop and launch. After MLM has been completed, funds should be free to develop and launch NM fast and open Russian expansion plans as well as possible Chinese participation!

There's also the possibility of the U.K. joining with the British scientific community proposing to attach two twin habitation modules on the two unused Tranquility ports...

Z

Zipi

MRM1 will be shipped to KSC at December: http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
(yes, it is pretty bad translation and if you like the Russian version: http://www.federalspace.ru/NewsDoSele.asp?NEWSID=8081)

Note that end of the article there is also the reason why MLM is so late... They are removing Ukrane parts from it and replacing those with RSC Energia's Russian built ones... Probably developing completely new ones.

And this article has some photos & graphics of MRM1: http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ry_state0=
(this translation is quite good, but in case you like Russian version: http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/cont ... 3/15.shtml)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts