Russia's Luna-25 moon lander snaps 1st pictures from space (photos)

We here in the US and especially some of us who have been part of NASA Apollo Program extend our heartiest congratulations to the scientists and engineers of Russia who have cooperated with us through Apollo Soyuz, Mir and ISS and have supported US Human Space missions during a decade when Space Shuttle was retired (prematurely). Its engines are still being used for Artemis Human Space Missions.

Our Congratulations also to ISRO Chandrayaan-3 for successful landing.

As I suggested in Jan 2020 space.com (and as in Luna 25), I wish Chandrayaan-3 had throttle-able restart-able descent engine and a RTG for continuous power for a long period mission.

Best wishes for both missions, we hope to land humans again in 2025 with Artemis Program.

Hoping Russia and China will join Artemis cooperative synergistic global human effort as India has and as suggested by me in 1975 in a report when I was a part of ISRO,

Thanks.
Ravi
(Dr. Ravi Sharma, Ph.D. USA)
NASA Apollo Achievement Award and
NASA AT&T Human Space Flight Award
ISRO Distinguished Service Awards
Ontolog Board of Trustees
Particle and Space Physics
Senior Enterprise Architect
California USA

here is my post from LinkedIn
Luna 25
It is a tragedy that Russia lost a lot of technical space work culminating in Luna 25.
Was it a project to quickly demonstrate power of new alliance with China?

For a while thought came that there could be some synergy with Chandrayaan 3 efforts but does not appear to be so.

Then the question is a puzzle especially quick launch of hardware designed some 50 years ago, or was it reassembled recently?
As Moscow share more info the motivation to enter Lunar south pole race will become clear.

However those of us who have lived this life know that the risks are significant.
Finally we wish the Chandrayaan 3 lander a great success in the next 2 days.

Additions:

If it was an attempt to catch in on Lunar South Pole landing only then it was ill planned and Late entry in the race.

Another reason for concern and correction Lunar south pole landing
There are lot of "mascons" a 1960's Apollo terminology, or mass concentrations in Lunar south pole. Hopefully all mapped with low orbit orbiters that would be able to calculate in great detail the anisotropies or perturbations (like what we do here on earth with GPS for precision missile targets or accurate landings). It is strongly dependent on Landing site specifically for south poles that is why we see so many mishaps.
This should be very successfully explored and engine thrust and related software synchronized so that nominal landing is not prematurely aborted.
This is now significant for chandrayaan-3 over next 2 days.

Thanks.
Ravi
NASA Apollo Achievement Award

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
We here in the US and especially some of us who have been part of NASA Apollo Program extend our heartiest congratulations to the scientists and engineers of Russia who have cooperated with us through Apollo Soyuz, Mir and ISS and have supported US Human Space missions during a decade when Space Shuttle was retired (prematurely). Its engines are still being used for Artemis Human Space Missions.

Our Congratulations also to ISRO Chandrayaan-3 for successful landing.

As I suggested in Jan 2020 space.com (and as in Luna 25), I wish Chandrayaan-3 had throttle-able restart-able descent engine and a RTG for continuous power for a long period mission.

Best wishes for both missions, we hope to land humans again in 2025 with Artemis Program.

Hoping Russia and China will join Artemis cooperative synergistic global human effort as India has and as suggested by me in 1975 in a report when I was a part of ISRO,

Thanks.
Ravi
NASA Apollo Achievement Award and
NASA AT&T Human Space Flight Award
California USA
I am also one of those who had the privilege of working on Apollo 11 Program in 1968-1969 on the Lunar Landing Training Simulator at the Houston NASA MSC. I agree with the sentiments expressed in your post. I hope the scientists and engineers of their programs in Russia, China and India feel the same exhilaration and pride that we did. I am looking forward to Artemis missions over the next few years.

Reactions: billslugg
I am also one of those who had the privilege of working on Apollo 11 Program in 1968-1969 on the Lunar Landing Training Simulator at the Houston NASA MSC. I agree with the sentiments expressed in your post. I hope the scientists and engineers of their programs in Russia, China and India feel the same exhilaration and pride that we did. I am looking forward to Artemis missions over the next few years.
Thrilled by enthusiasm and future of human exploration!

Latest posts