Science fiction which has caught us up

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonChapman

Ok, 2001 has been and gone, 2010 is here, 2015 is only five years away, I'm looking forward to the hoverboard myself, and 2018 is eight years away, although Harrison Ford will probably still be alive he'll be way too old to run around a post apocalyptic Los Angeles landscape after skin-jobs.
It’s funny how certain science fiction timelines have been and gone, even Kahn from Star Trek has been blasted into space aboard the Botany Bay, can you guys think of any other films, TV, Books or other scifi which have happened.

Z

ZenGalacticore

How about the obvious, "Space:1999"? They did a great job on the interiors of the moonbase though, as well as the 'eagles'.

IIRC, the original "Rollerball" with James Caan was set in either 1999 or 2000.

It's also funny to watch some of the old 'Twilight Zone' episodes. Rod Serling loved to set advanced space missions in the 1980s, for some reason. [Imagine Rod's voice] "The year is 1985, a man is on a mission to a distant planet..." :lol:

Also, a 'Night Gallery' episode about android students called "Class of '99" was also set, evidently enough, in 1999.

Oh, what else... 'Logan's Run', well, we still have 270 years for that one to play out! But yeah, 'Bladerunner' was set in 2019. That kicks my ass. Back in '82 when it came out, I thought it was stupid that men in 2019 were still wearing ties. But here we are in '10, and ties show only small signs of disappearing. (I doubt they'll ever disappear altogether. Perhaps in another 50 to 100 years, only lawyers and politicians will wear them. Even our president sometimes gives press conferences without one. IIRC, he's the first to do so.)

And for some really good laughs, check out the 1935 film of HG Wellses' book "Things to Come".

M

Mee_n_Mac

Hmmm, we're past 1997 and the Jupiter 2 hasn't launched for Alpha Centuri nor become Lost in Space.

We're past 1975 and The Omega Man isn't the sole human left on Earth

We're past the '70s and Capricorn One hasn't faked a mission to Mars.

We're past 1983 and the Spindrift hasn't crashed in the Land of the Giants.

We're past 1997 and Snake Pliskin has yet to Escape from New York.

We're past 1999 and the Moon hasn't been blasted out of orbit and into Space:1999.

We're past 2000 and while my commute is scary at times, it's no Death Race 2000.

We're past 2009 and I've yet to see an escaped FreeJack.

Of course those were movies and shows that were set sometime into the future at the time of their writing. Other shows and movies were set so the future was then or close to then, ie - Westworld, Damnnation Alley, The Last Starfighter ...

If we start with books (or the books that above we're bsaed on) .... well that'll be a loooooooong list.

ps - Try as I might I couldn't find a definitive timeline for Silent Running but I suspect we have passed it's due date as well.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I thought the 'Jupiter II' didn't launch until 1996? :)

M

Mee_n_Mac

ZenGalacticore":3is527qg said:
I thought the 'Jupiter II' didn't launch until 1996? :)

Ooops that was a typo, T'was s'posed to 1997. I go fix now.

J

junkheap

1980 has come and gone and no women living and working on the Moon wearing skimpy silver outfits and purple wigs. :cry:

M

Mee_n_Mac

junkheap":2qjoosxr said:
1980 has come and gone and no women living and working on the Moon wearing skimpy silver outfits and purple wigs. :cry:

You've made a grown man weep ....

UFO+TV.jpg

ufo+g+drake.jpg

A

a_lost_packet_

Mee_n_Mac":796vp8rb said:
junkheap":796vp8rb said:

You've made a grown man weep ....

I've been working on modeling that set, including the UFO outfit etc.. for awhile now. I had to stop because of the family emergency I had last year and haven't gotten back to it. But, just about all the geometry is done along with some texturing, rigging where necessary and some shader work that I finished. I just have to assemble everything in one package and finish some details... These are "beta" renders, just to give an idea of how far along I am on finishing it.

2sb4k10.jpg

2dazleu.jpg

The jumper is really "shiny" because I hadn't finished the texture and bump map yet so they're not applied. The gray stocking suit is a procedural shader (very difficult btw, had some help starting that one off and getting the calculations right) and I've tweaked it since then. It's now properly showing the "ribbing" (displacement mapped) and works extremely well and renders fast. I've also fixed the sleeve cuffs to appear more prominently. The hair and primary figure are not mine nor is the background pic. Though, I have done work on the hair since then and changed the geometry along with the figure to resemble one of the characters from the show. (I've never seen the show, btw.. lol)

I don't have any renders of the set. But, it's just like the set in the picture you posted.. desk, displays, microphone, chair, bulkhead and various sci-fi gimcrackery any UFO fan would like.

I really HAVE to finish that. So much has been going on that I haven't been able to get back to it. When I do manage to work with it, something always pops up that draws me away.. :/ Gotta get the package delivered soon.

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman":17j8tehl said:
did you use Poser for that model.

Yeah, the base human figure is V4. I started it because a guy on another forum was really a big fan of UFO and I used the inspiration of doing something nice for someone to help motivate me to delve into a subject area (classic TV sci-fi, especially the Irwin Allen stuff) I wasn't very "hip" to. There are some really neat artistic designs and concepts in classic TV sci-fi that I got exposed to and started to take more of an interest in. The key is reproducing them accurately and that's what I was trying to focus on - Taking a concept from a photo or sketch and reproducing it as accurately as possible. The only problem was I have never seen the show so can only gather limited info from photos that weren't meant as reference pics. (I did find some original costume sketches that helped though.)

Loved that show! I was an avid fan. MMMmm.. Wilma...

wilma01.jpg

Next on the list, after I finish this UFO stuff, is going to be something on one of the other classic Sci-Fi series. Buck Rogers would be pretty easy. Everything is skin-tight jumpsuits... Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Erin Gray was awesome in a skin-tight jumpsuit...

A

a_lost_packet_

Speaking of Irwin Allen..

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was supposed to be set in the 1970s.

Land of the Giants was supposed to be in 1983.

Gerry Anderson (Of UFO) besides UFO and Space:1999 did:

Thunderbirds which was supposed to be in the 21'st Century although the exact date is something the fans argue about. (Wiki)

Z

ZenGalacticore

What about "Zombies of the Stratosphere"? :lol:

What year were they supposed to be in?

S

StarRider1701

What!?! You mean Galactica 1980 wasn't real?

I suppose there probably isn't a BattleStar parked in orbit around Earth. Somebody would have noticed by now. The Galactica had zero cloaking capability... :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

StarRider1701

MeteorWayne":3bzdjx6e said:
MANY twilight Zone Episodes...

Not to mention the old Outer Limits...

Some of the new ones were pretty good.

J

JasonChapman

Robocop, was made in 1987, but set in 1997 I think, I started to watch it last night, I missed the beginning, classic film. 'Your move creep'

Doing a remamke next year.

M

Mee_n_Mac

junkheap":3uplq1aq said:
@Me_n_Mac and a_lost_packet.

I just found this: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://ufo-themovie.com/UFO/Home.html

You've made a grown man happy !

Based in the near future - 2020, where a super secret military organization SHADO (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization) becomes operational. Its purpose, to defend Earth from an Alien race, which has been abducting humans from all corners of planet earth for decades. SHADO's cover is a Movie Studio with their main headquarters hidden deep below the surface. SHADO is run by the extremely dedicated "Studio Mogul" and SHADO Commander Ed Straker who has a cadre of crack operatives with an arsenal of cutting edge futuristic weapons systems and hidden bases on earth and beyond.

Director Matthew Gratzner and Producers Avi Haas and Henri Kessler join forces in this re-imagination of the original 1970 TV Series created by Gerry Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts