Science vs. Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cobrien1985

I was reading in article yesterday and it was saying that a new new "planet" was discovered beyond pluto, close to the same size if not bigger. At the bottom it showed some other sites such as Planet X and I came up with Nibiru or "Wormwood" a name that comes from Revelation's. What does a new planet being discovered in our solar system have to do with biblical theories and assumptions? And are there any ideas on the topic of Nibiru (Planet X or Wormwood) on whether it truly exist or not? <br /><br />NOTE: I am not trying to start an arguement so, lets not get going on Religion on an astronomy forum..capish.

L

le3119

If Biblical prophey believers didn't have SOMETHING to attach the name "wormwood" to, no one would pay them any attention.....no fighting now.

S

Saiph

Well, since it doesn't come much closer than neptune...it doesn't really do anything to us, and is undetectable by any technology prior to the 1900's (optics were not good enough, or large enough, nor was photography advanced enough).<br /><br />So they can't know of it, and it doesn't fit into any of their prophecies. You could call it Niburu, but you'd be better off calling any Near Earth Asteroids (those that have crossing paths) such things. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

cobrien1985

i am not saying i beleive in wormwood or biblical prophecies or any in particular. I am just curious about this subject.

C

CalliArcale

There have been many hypothetical extra planets, and it does make for some fascinating reading.<br /><br />Nibiru is the name given to a supposed Planet X that a few fringe groups think is coming to smash into Earth and kill us all. (They know because the aliens told them so, and because some myths seem like vague metaphors for a tenth planet.) The date of the collision has come and gone -- several times. The group keeps pushing the date out for some reason....<br /><br />Wormwood -- I'm guessing this one refers to Lucifer. Lucifer was a hypothetical planet that orbited the Sun in the Sun-Earth L3 point, keeping it forever out of the view of Earthbound astronomers, because the Sun would always be in the way of observing it. It was popular in the 18th and 19th Centuries, and a number of novels and short stories were written about it. Some suggested (seriously or otherwise) that an advanced civilization could live on it, with some suggesting it could be a sinister civilization, a sort of anti-Earth. (Remember, that was when Deism was most popular, which says that Earth was made perfect and is a good place; if it seems bad or unpleasant to us, that just means we don't understand it. Ergo, Earth is perfect, and the anti-Earth must not be.)<br /><br />There are other hypothetical planets. Vulcan was supposedly a planet that orbited within the orbit of Mercury (hence it's name). Vulcan was proposed by Le Verrier to explain peculiarities in the orbit of Mercury. But Vulcan was never found, and the strange orbit was later resolved by Einstein's theory of relativity. An amateur astronomer of the day (1859) claimed to have observed Vulcan transiting the Sun, but nobody else ever spotted it.<br /><br />Le Verrier also conducted intense searches for Planet X. His calculations led to one of two independent discoveries of Neptune, a success which undoubtedly fueled his enthusiasm. He came up with a computed location for planet X, which was eventually used to discover Pluto. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.