Science: we need to find the secret of how to make Roman concrete.

We just don't know , we've tried but it isn't the same. Concrete failure has been attributed to the building disaster in Florida.
Where if you've ever been to Rome, some of those ancient buildings and structures made of this stuff are still standing, even after a few earthquake tremors. The same stuff has held up parts of Venice for 2000 years. Their docks are still standing on this . Seemingly uneffected by sea water.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Before you ask, what does this have to do with space exploration ? It has a lot of ramifications. Florida launch facilities
that are over 40 years old, and subjected to the elements and the storms of being on that coastline. Where there has been some problems.

Concrete is incredible material. It has compressive strengths up to around 10,000 psi, though typicaly it’s around 3000 psi. But slump, proper rebar placement, flyash vs cement, water salinity, core sampling, and subsurface foundational support are important issues requiring professional oversight.

If done properly, concrete will get stronger with time, amazingly.

Reactions: Clovis
Launch facilities near costal conditions. Roman is known for its endurance in these regions. " The result is a candidate for "the most durable building material in human history". In contrast, modern concrete exposed to saltwater deteriorates within decades."

Last edited:
I read where some of them were over 40 years old and in pretty bad shape. No longer used, mostly because we are using a lot more differant types of rockets than back then. And the foundations were cracking. The Romans weren't using rebar. But we know that the Romans were using a lot the science they got from the Greeks. So did the Egyptians.

Last edited:

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
I did think, from the beginning, that the materials used in rocket launches was a little bit distanced from space. Like, can I start a thread on bacon and eggs as that is what astronauts may have for breakfast?

Cat :)