Scientists spot a triple-star system shredding its planet-forming disk in a cosmic first

The paper cited, https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6508/1233 says "...The ring casts shadows on a strongly warped intermediate region of the disk. If planets can form within the warped disk, disk tearing could provide a mechanism for forming wide-separation planets on oblique orbits."

My observation. It may be difficult for the disks to form planets. The space.com report said "The warped ring, which is located in the inner part of the GW Orionis system's disk, contains 30 Earth-masses of dust, the researchers also found. This means that the disk contains enough material to form planets. "

30 earth masses is a small amount compared to our solar system accretion disk model(s) used in computer simulations to show the origin of the planets from Mercury to Pluto.

30 earth masses is a small amount compared to our solar system accretion disk model(s) used in computer simulations to show the origin of the planets from Mercury to Pluto.
I suspect, but I'd like to learn more, that the actual mass may be closer to 3000 earth masses since dust is usually only about 1% of the nebula's material. There had to have been a lot of potential disk material, no doubt, since there was enough density and material to form three stars close together. Much of the gas may be gone by now, though this is a young system.

Latest posts