See Mars and Jupiter shine super-close in the predawn sky this Memorial Day weekend

For those using small telescopes to view the conjunction of Mars and Jupiter tomorrow morning (29-May), Ganymede shadow will be visible on Jupiter. Sunrise tomorrow at my location is 0545 EDT and weather looks excellent. I used Stellarium and Starry Night, checked the view. At 0445 EDT, Ganymede shadow will be on Jupiter during this conjunction. At 71x and 111x, I should be able to see both Mars and Jupiter in the FOV along with Ganymede shadow on the planet using my 90-mm refractor telescope. I plan to setup 0430 EDT tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Wolfshadw
I did observe Mars and Jupiter conjunction this morning. Here is a note from my log.

Observed 0400-0515 EDT/0800-0915 UT. Sunrise 0545 EDT/0945 UT. New Moon 30-May-2022 1130 UT. Ganymede shadow on Jupiter, ingress 0749 UT, egress 1100 UT (May issue of Sky & Telescope table, p. 51). Conjunction of Mars and Jupiter this morning close to 0.6-degree apart. Stellarium shows a bit more than 34 arcminute angular separation in Pisces. Enjoyable and excellent views using TeleVue 14-mm Delos (71x) with #58 Green filter and TeleVue 9-mm Nagler (111x) without filter. It was easier to place both Mars and Jupiter in the same FOV at 71x. The green filter allowed the black spot of Ganymede shadow distinct on Jupiter along with various clouds bands. All 4 Galilean moons visible but in the north up, mirror reverse view of the 90-mm refractor telescope. Viewing Mars and Jupiter together with green filter, Mars is green and not the ‘red planet’ 😊Mars distinct orange-reddish 87.5% illuminated according to Stellarium 0.22.1 without the green filter. There were fainter stars in the 9th-11th magnitude range visible within about 0.5-degree of Mars position. Starry Night and Stellarium showed the stars. This was fun viewing Mars and Jupiter conjunction at 71x to 111x views seeing both planets in the FOV. Both planets easily seen together, especially at 71x. The distance between Mars and Jupiter while I observed, looked about an hour car drive distance between them 😊 Near and after 0445 EDT, the sky started brightening. 0500 EDT, some great horn owls were hooting in the woods. I hooted back, some rosters in a nearby chicken farm started crowing, and dogs in the area within 300 hundred yards started howling. By 0500 EDT/0900 UT, Ganymede shadow as the *black spot* easier to see as it moved across the face of Jupiter, without green filter. Weather clear skies, some cirrus, winds calm and temperature 14C. A very enjoyable morning observing Mars and Jupiter conjunction while Ganymede shadow moved across Jupiter.

Latest posts