See Mars swing by the crescent moon tonight

Thanks for this heads up; I saw this event 3/19/21 on a clear, slightly windy, chill night. I was left wondering what the view of Earth would be like from desolate Mars? i.e.: Two beings unbeknownst to each other viewing the opposite sky and effectively one another.

Reactions: Catastrophe

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for this heads up; I saw this event 3/19/21 on a clear, slightly windy, chill night. I was left wondering what the view of Earth would be like from desolate Mars? i.e.: Two beings unbeknownst to each other viewing the opposite sky and effectively one another.
See here:

I enjoyed views last night after 2000 EDT using my 10-inch Newtonian telescope. Views of the Moon and Mars at lower power, 34x lovely and Mars a number of faint stars in the field in Taurus. At 158x, I could see Mars distinct planet gibbous shape with orange-red color. Other great targets were M42 and 5 stars in the Trapezium viewed at 158x. At 34x, M42 great nebulosity apparent even with moon light. Castor as a double star was a real treat and so too Rigel in Orion at 158x views. Unaided eye views of the Moon and Mars in Taurus was excellent sight, including the Pleiades. I did view the Moon using my 2-inch eyepiece at 34x. Earthshine quite easy to see and many lunar craters along terminator line. Mars in Taurus with many faint stars in the field of view at 34x, would make for an excellent photo last night. I used Starry Night to create charts before my stargazing run last night. I had clear skies and temperature 1C when out for the fun in my pastures.

Latest posts