Seeing Ourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kabtn05

Hi. Can anyone provide a link to a post or webpage that discusses the theory of when you look far enough into the universe you might see yourself (the beginning or end)? Or, is this a myth and the theory isn't real?

J

jmeyer

I'm not sure of that one....however, there is a rumor that if you could ride an event horizon, you would move so fast that you would see the back of your own head.

N

newtonian

kabtn05 - It is an extension of the balloon model of the shape of our universe.<br /><br />It is contrary to various flat models.<br /><br />It assumes no edge to our universe on the basis of the assumption that our universe curves back on itself.<br /><br />Many flat models, including models based on the Biblical model of a 3-d stretching fine gause in Isaiah 40:22, reach a different conclusion.<br /><br />However, if there really are many dimensions as in String theory, some of these could curve back on themselves like cylinders, donuts, spheres, etc.<br /><br />These are questions scientists are currently researching.<br /><br />There is no observational evidence we could see our location if we look far enough in any 3-d direction.<br /><br />There is also no observational evidence for any time loop.<br /><br />There is also no observational evidence for other dimensions - yet - just interpretations of observations like acceleration of expansion, in search of causes for observed effects.

V

vogon13

Your getting close to that question, you know, the Ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.<br /><br />A very wise man speculated the answer is 42. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

Y

yevaud

"So long, and thanks so much for the fish!" <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

jmeyer

I'm curious. I hear this balloon idea quite often.<br /><br />My question is: Is our universe considered to be merely the surface of this ballon, or would it also extend to the inside of said ballon, directly through to the other side?<br /><br />Also, like a balloon, could it be tied on one end? Could one side of this universe have a knot of dark matter, keeping the whole thing from collapsing, thus far?<br /><br />A graveyard of dark matter, anti-matter, and things of the nature? Maybe something draws it all to the same locale.<br /><br />Sorry, that was like 5-6 questions.<br /><br />

N

newtonian

The balloon model is conceptual, not literal.<br /><br />There would be no inside to the balloon, i.e. nothing exists on the inside of the balloon.<br /><br />If I understand said model correctly. <br /><br />I do not believe in the balloon model, btw.

N

newtonian

Jmeyer - To explain how and why I reject the balloon model:<br /><br />I prefer a flat model based on Biblical astronomy, the stretching fine gauze of Isaiah 40:22, the stretching threads and filaments of our universe which is observed today.<br /><br />I.e. scientific observation vs. scientific speculation.<br /><br />There is one thing observed which would be true either of the balloon model, or the Biblical model, or, for that matter, other current models:<br /><br />Every distant point on the expanding fabric of space is expanding away from every other point. And more distant points are expanding faster.<br /><br />That is what is observed.<br /><br />If you examine the Biblical model more closely: <br /><br />A stretching fabric like a stretching fine gauze with its threads and filaments would have some bonds loosen or even break, causing a localized recoil.<br /><br />This may be happening now in the gravitational tug of war between the Great Attractor and another attractor in Perseus. It appears that the bonds to Perseus are broken but we are bound to Great Attractor.<br /><br />The Biblical model does indicate such bonds can either hold fast or be loosened:<br /><br />(Job 38:31-33) ?31 Can you tie fast the bonds of the Ki´mah constellation, Or can you loosen the very cords of the Ke´sil constellation? 32 Can you bring forth the Maz´za·roth constellation in its appointed time? And as for the Ash constellation alongside its sons, can you conduct them? 33 Have you come to know the statutes of the heavens, Or could you put its authority in the earth??<br /><br />That such bonds can be loosened is also observed scientifically, e.g.: the question whether certain stars are gravitationally bound or not.<br /><br />It is important to note that in various flat models like my favorite as I described briefly and also in the balloon model, flat or curved is not actually in 3-d.<br /><br />The surface of the balloon is already 3-d, what is inside would be beyond 3-d and is only conceptual, not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts