Self cleaning solar panels for rovers demonstrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

From yesterday's ACS meeting in Boston, where I was chairing a symposia: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100822150641.htm

"A dust layer of one-seventh of an ounce per square yard decreases solar power conversion by 40 percent," Mazumder explains. "In Arizona, dust is deposited each month at about 4 times that amount. Deposition rates are even higher in the Middle East, Australia, and India."

Working with NASA, Mazumder and colleagues initially developed the self-cleaning solar panel technology for use in lunar and Mars missions. "Mars of course is a dusty and dry environment," Mazumder said, "and solar panels powering rovers and future manned and robotic missions must not succumb to dust deposition. But neither should the solar panels here on Earth."

The self-cleaning technology involves deposition of a transparent, electrically sensitive material deposited on glass or a transparent plastic sheet covering the panels. Sensors monitor dust levels on the surface of the panel and energize the material when dust concentration reaches a critical level. The electric charge sends a dust-repelling wave cascading over the surface of the material, lifting away the dust and transporting it off of the screen's edges.

Mazumder said that within two minutes, the process removes about 90 percent of the dust deposited on a solar panel and requires only a small amount of the electricity generated by the panel for cleaning operations."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150641.htm

G

Gravity_Ray

Very interesting indeed.

If the panel is at an angle (such as large solar farms) I can see the dust being repelled and then floating down away from the solar panel. However, on flat panels (relative to the surface) such as panels on the Mars rovers wouldnt the dust that is repelled float back down on the panel again?

How does the dust float away from the solar panel of a rover?

S

silylene

One sequentially activates the electrical charging circuitry to produce a wave which propels the dust off laterally.

S

SteveCNC

That's pretty nice , much better than some sort of wiping mechanism causing scratches . My solar panels I would just hose off in the evening about every 6 weeks or so .

T

tampaDreamer

SteveCNC":p0sxistw said:
That's pretty nice , much better than some sort of wiping mechanism causing scratches . My solar panels I would just hose off in the evening about every 6 weeks or so .

Brilliant! We should send a lawn-watering hose robot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts