Self sealing spacesuits and station modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Can we make space suits that seal leaks automatically? What about something like a module for ISS? I have owned tires that could seal a leak. Why not something in space?

Z

Zipi

willpittenger":mx6425vv said:
Can we make space suits that seal leaks automatically? What about something like a module for ISS? I have owned tires that could seal a leak. Why not something in space?

Most probably it is possible. However I guess it would add too much weight and complicity to space station modules. You would probably need dual air tight layer design to such modules. Between those layers should be the "self sealing thing". If you think car tires, the "air" inside such tire is probably not breathable. At space station environment you have to also worry what if it is possible that the self sealing mixture leaks inside of the station (you probably cannot use similar gas to seal leaks at vacuum like is used at tires so it might be possible that it can leak inside).

What comes to space suits... I think they would not be flexible enough with such design (and those possible dangers mentioned above).

J

JonClarke

My understanding is that the Orlan suit has bladders that can be inflated, sealing off the arms or legs, in the event of a puncture.

Z

Zipi

JonClarke":3fthe0iw said:
My understanding is that the Orlan suit has bladders that can be inflated, sealing off the arms or legs, in the event of a puncture.

That sounds pretty good and simple solution for self sealing feature. But probably those bladders have to have quite high pressure? And how about the underwear material? If underwear material is not something like rubber at those bladder positions I'm pretty sure it will leak more or less.

And what happens to that body part which is separated by bladder? If we are thinking of major cut at the space suit? Will all gasses from blood come through skin or something else as nasty as that?

W

willpittenger

The good news is your suit sealed itself for you.

The bad news? You lost a leg.

A

aphh

There have been accidents in high altitude tests where a pressure suit partially depressurized and arm was left outside of pressurized volume. The arm went numb because it enlarged due to lower pressure preventing blood circulation.

It's a similar situation when you sometimes wake up having a numb arm because you slept on it.

Tests have shown that limbs recover well from prolonged exposure to low blood oxygen conditions, as was the case in the accident that I referred to in the first sentence.

W

willpittenger

JonClarke":1qkv1lag said:
My understanding is that the Orlan suit has bladders that can be inflated, sealing off the arms or less, in the event of a puncture.
The good news is you will survive thanks to those bladders.

The bad news? You lost your leg.

J

JonClarke

Zipi":1ofeirda said:
JonClarke":1ofeirda said:

That sounds pretty good and simple solution for self sealing feature. But probably those bladders have to have quite high pressure? And how about the underwear material? If underwear material is not something like rubber at those bladder positions I'm pretty sure it will leak more or less.

I imagine they would leak. But they don't have to be a perfect seal, just enough to contain the link long enough for the astronaut to reach safety.

And what happens to that body part which is separated by bladder? If we are thinking of major cut at the space suit? Will all gasses from blood come through skin or something else as nasty as that?

The skin is a rather good space suit. There might be some capillary rupture and odema, but nothing irrepairable. People have had parts of their bodies excposed to near vacuum for some hours with no long term problems.

J

JonClarke

willpittenger":2yc5meuw said:
JonClarke":2yc5meuw said:
My understanding is that the Orlan suit has bladders that can be inflated, sealing off the arms or less, in the event of a puncture.
The good news is you will survive thanks to those bladders.

The bad news? You lost your leg.

You would be unlikely to lose your arm or leg. Even if circulation is completely cut off provided you were back in a pressurised environment within 10-15 minutes it is unlikely that there would be major damage. But even if you did it is still better than the alternative.

K

kelvinzero

It would be funny if that recent competition for a spacesuit glove had been won by "Just poke your hand out" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts