Shenzhou-7 and their mini sat came close to the ISS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shuttle_guy

<p>Tracking data shows the BX-1, which was deployed from Shenzhou-7 on September 27 &mdash; was ejected just minutes after the International Space Station passed in front of the Shenzhou-7.</p><p>According to T.S. Kelso, a senior research astrodynamicist at the Center for Space Standards & Innovation in Colorado Springs, the BX-1 passed within 25 kilometers of the ISS. His analysis shows that the Shenzhou-7 made its own close approach to the station, flying by at one point some 46 kilometers distance.</p><p>The full story:</p><p>&nbsp;http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/leonarddavid/</p><p>Their orbits were/are are 9.6 degrees apart in inclination. The Delta V required to move into the ISS orbit would be about 400 ft./sec.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Tracking data shows the BX-1, which was deployed from Shenzhou-7 on September 27 &mdash; was ejected just minutes after the International Space Station passed in front of the Shenzhou-7.According to T.S. Kelso, a senior research astrodynamicist at the Center for Space Standards & Innovation in Colorado Springs, the BX-1 passed within 25 kilometers of the ISS. His analysis shows that the Shenzhou-7 made its own close approach to the station, flying by at one point some 46 kilometers distance.The full story:&nbsp;http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/leonarddavid/Their orbits were/are are 9.6 degrees apart in inclination. The Delta V required to move into the ISS orbit would be about 400 ft./sec.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>Is there any independent confirmation of this?</p><p>I must say&nbsp;I am sceptical.&nbsp; Given the flaps over previous "close" encounters I would have though this would have been commented on at the time.</p><p>Also the whole tone of the article is pushing the Chinese bogeyman OfC, which smacks of a sinophobic&nbsp;agenda.</p><p>On the other hand, if really will only take 122 m/s that does seem to make a visit to the ISS more likely, which is a good thing.</p><p>The published&nbsp;Shenzhou dV is given as being 380 m/s, so the extra thrust probably would have to come from the booster.</p><p>On the other hand the Chinese appear to have bought an androgynous docking system, to dock with the ISS (presumably at a Russian port), they would need the Russian male-female docking system.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Is there any independent confirmation of this?I must say&nbsp;I am sceptical.&nbsp; Given the flaps over previous "close" encounters I would have though this would have been commented on at the time.Also the whole tone of the article is pushing the Chinese bogeyman OfC, which smacks of a sinophobic&nbsp;agenda.On the other hand, if really will only take 122 m/s that does seem to make a visit to the ISS more likely, which is a good thing.The published&nbsp;Shenzhou dV is given as being 380 m/s, so the extra thrust probably would have to come from the booster.On the other hand the Chinese appear to have bought an androgynous docking system, to dock with the ISS (presumably at a Russian port), they would need the Russian male-female docking system.Jon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>I agree, it would be a good thing to have China as a partner in the ISS program.</p><p>The 400 ft./ sec number was just a mental rough estimate. I believe that it is a pretty good estimate. </p><p>Their new booster that is in work could do the job.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts