Shenzhou 7 planned launch September 25th

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trailrider

<p>And my most sincere wishes for the best of luck to them!&nbsp; Maybe if they do something really spectacular it will get the U.S. off the dime!&nbsp; BTW, any further word on dismantling of the ET tank tooling at Michoud?&nbsp; McCain, et al, wrote the President requesting that nothing be done that would prevent extension of the Shuttle past 2010.&nbsp; Also any different word on layoffs?&nbsp; You may reply to me at trailrdr@ecentral.com if you'd rather not post in public.&nbsp; Goes no further than my brain pan!</p><p>Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!</p>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>And my most sincere wishes for the best of luck to them!&nbsp; Maybe if they do something really spectacular it will get the U.S. off the dime!&nbsp; BTW, any further word on dismantling of the ET tank tooling at Michoud?<br /> Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>While this is a bit offtopic, Wayne Hale had an interesting post in his blog pertaining generally to the ability to stop the Shuttle's shutdown -- in his view, it is now impossibly impractical to prevent the Shuttle's shutdown, because so many parts contracts have been terminated.</p><p>Shutting down the Shuttle </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>And my most sincere wishes for the best of luck to them!&nbsp; Maybe if they do something really spectacular it will get the U.S. off the dime!&nbsp; BTW, any further word on dismantling of the ET tank tooling at Michoud?&nbsp; McCain, et al, wrote the President requesting that nothing be done that would prevent extension of the Shuttle past 2010.&nbsp; Also any different word on layoffs?&nbsp; You may reply to me at trailrdr@ecentral.com if you'd rather not post in public.&nbsp; Goes no further than my brain pan!Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra! <br />Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>I do not have any further information. We are charging toward flying 10 more missions before 09/30/10. </p><p>As far as I know ET tooling is still scheduled to be dismantled this month.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>The replacement Soyuz, the Shuttle, and Shenzhou were all in space at the same time.&nbsp;&nbsp; If they were then I think is is the first time we would have seen 15 people in space at once.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The replacement Soyuz, the Shuttle, and Shenzhou were all in space at the same time.&nbsp;&nbsp; If they were then I think is is the first time we would have seen 15 people in space at once.Jon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>Add the 3 person ISS crew and you have 18. In fact once the "replacement Soyuz" is flying we expect the ISS crew to be 6 so that would make 21 !</p><p>I think the current record is 13.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Add the 3 person ISS crew and you have 18. In fact once the "replacement Soyuz" is flying we expect the ISS crew to be 6 so that would make 21 !I think the current record is 13. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV><br /><br />With tongue slightly in cheek, how many people does it take to be a colony?&nbsp; (I suppose they'd have to all be in the same PLACE at the same time.)</p><p>In all seriousness, can the Chinese reach the ISS from their launch site, with their Long March 2(Whatever)?&nbsp; Might they be an acceptable alternative to Soyuz, if either Russia or Congress kill further co-operation for ISS access and support?</p><p>Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!</p>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>In all seriousness, can the Chinese reach the ISS from their launch site, with their Long March 2(Whatever)?&nbsp; Might they be an acceptable alternative to Soyuz, if either Russia or Congress kill further co-operation for ISS access and support?Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra! <br />Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>Don't think so.&nbsp; Shenzhou luanches into a different orbital plane.</p><p>Congress can't kill Russian cooperation.&nbsp; Russia is not a simple service provider for whom there are alternatives but a major partner who participation is essential.&nbsp; Congress can vote to end US participiationi n the ISS, which would kill the entire program.&nbsp; Which would be an unbelievably stupid, short sighted, pointless, self harming act, even for politicians.&nbsp; It would destroy any kind of space partnership for years to come,not only with Russia, but with ESA and JAXA</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p>&nbsp;</p><p><span class="BHL">&nbsp;From Space Daily:</span></p><p><span class="BHL">China To Launch Third Manned Space Flight Sep 25<br /></span></p><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="160" align="right"><tbody><tr><td><br /><span class="BL">.</span>

T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;From Space Daily:China To Launch Third Manned Space Flight Sep 25.by Staff WritersBeijing (RIA Novosti) Sep 15, 2008China will launch its Shenzhou 7 manned spacecraft at 13:10 GMT on September 25, weather permitting, the Sohu news service reported Friday. For the launch of the Long March IIF rocket to go ahead there must be no rain forecast, wind velocity of less than eight meters per second, and ground visibility of more than 20 kilometers. In a first for China, one of the three astronauts on board will perform a one-hour spacewalk at an altitude of 341 kilometers from the Earth. China plans to build its own orbital space station and create a space laboratory before 2020. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>If I'm calculating correctly, that's 0700 Mountain DAYLIGHT Time (Zulu minus 7 plus 1 hr), or 0900 Eastern Daylight Time.&nbsp;Or am I off by one or two hours?&nbsp; I wish the taikonauts the very best of luck for a successful mission.&nbsp; Maybe their successes will get the U.S. off the dime!</p><p>Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If I'm calculating correctly, that's 0700 Mountain DAYLIGHT Time (Zulu minus 7 plus 1 hr), or 0900 Eastern Daylight Time.&nbsp;Or am I off by one or two hours?&nbsp; I wish the taikonauts the very best of luck for a successful mission.&nbsp; Maybe their successes will get the U.S. off the dime!Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!&nbsp; <br />Posted by trailrider</DIV></p><p>Yes, the EDT launch time&nbsp;is 0910 hrs.</p><p>on another note:</p><p>There is a report on SPACE Daily that the mission duration will be 3 days.</p><p>http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Short_Flight_For_Shenzhou_7_999.html</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p>While three days is a short mission, it is feasible.&nbsp; Voskhod 2 did an EVA in a one day mission, Gemini 4 in a four day mission.</p><p>I would have thought though that the Chinese would have gone for a long mission so as not to have such a full program, and to demonstrate the longer duration capcity of Shenzhou.Sooner or later I assume they must do a longer flight&nbsp; to do this, say ~40 crew days.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>While three days is a short mission, it is feasible.&nbsp; Voskhod 2 did an EVA in a one day mission, Gemini 4 in a four day mission.I would have thought though that the Chinese would have gone for a long mission so as not to have such a full program, and to demonstrate the longer duration capcity of Shenzhou.Sooner or later I assume they must do a longer flight&nbsp; to do this, say ~40 crew days.&nbsp;Jon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>I think they will not get more than 10 man days out of their spacecraft. Longer missions will come in 3 or 4 years when they have a mini station in orbit. I understand they will leave their orbital module in orbit as usual and that unmanned launches will add to that module to form a mini station.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<strong><span style="font-size:18pt;color:#000033;font-family:Verdana">From SpaceFlightnow.com:</span></strong><strong><span style="font-size:18pt;color:#000033;font-family:Verdana">&nbsp;</span></strong><strong><span style="font-size:18pt;color:#000033;font-family:Verdana">Shenzhou 7 put on pad for China's next manned flight</span></strong><br /><strong><span style="font-size:7.5pt;font-family:Verdana">BY STEPHEN CLARK<br />SPACEFLIGHT NOW</span></strong><span style="font-size:7.5pt;font-family:Verdana"><br />Posted: September 20, 2008</span><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The 19-story rocket that will dispatch three Chinese astronauts into the final frontier next week was moved from a massive assembly building to the launch pad Saturday. </font></font><p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">More at:</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0809/20shenzhou7/</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I think they will not get more than 10 man days out of their spacecraft. Longer missions will come in 3 or 4 years when they have a mini station in orbit. I understand they will leave their orbital module in orbit as usual and that unmanned launches will add to that module to form a mini station. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>The smaller Soyuz and lighter was able to manage up 38 crew days (S-9) in free-flying mode.&nbsp; While this was exceptional, Soyuz also flew 15 crew day missions three times (S-7, S-13 & S-22)</p><p>If the Chinese want to use Shenzhou for lunar mission they will need 12 crew days even for a single loop round for two people, if they do an Apollo-like mission profile for landings&nbsp;they will need a minimum of 21 crew days, up to 33.</p><p>So I think it reasonable, given its size, design and future missions,&nbsp;to expect Shenzhou to be able to support at least 20 and possibly 40 crew day missions in free flying mode.&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course for space station missions they will only need 10, but Shezhou is capable of more missions than just being a ferry.</p><p>So I would be be interested in your reasons for saying only 10 crew days.&nbsp;</p><p>cheers</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The smaller Soyuz and lighter was able to manage up 38 crew days (S-9) in free-flying mode.&nbsp; While this was exceptional, Soyuz also flew 15 crew day missions three times (S-7, S-13 & S-22)If the Chinese want to use Shenzhou for lunar mission they will need 12 crew days even for a single loop round for two people, if they do an Apollo-like mission profile for landings&nbsp;they will need a minimum of 21 crew days, up to 33.So I think it reasonable, given its size, design and future missions,&nbsp;to expect Shenzhou to be able to support at least 20 and possibly 40 crew day missions in free flying mode.&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course for space station missions they will only need 10, but Shezhou is capable of more missions than just being a ferry.So I would be be interested in your reasons for saying only 10 crew days.&nbsp;cheersJon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>My reasoning is simply the demonstrated performance of the current version. You may very well be correct. &nbsp;We will just have to wait and see.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

job1207

<p>As noted above, it is good to see the Chinese preparing for launch. It will give a boost to the NASA budget, if another space faring nation is going for the Moon. </p><p>No good red blooded American would want them to get there before we go back, which is the point of the W agenda anyway. </p>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>No good red blooded American would want them to get there before we go back, which is the point of the W agenda anyway. <br />Posted by job1207</DIV></p><p>The rest of us don't care who it is, so&nbsp; long as somebody does.</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>My reasoning is simply the demonstrated performance of the current version. You may very well be correct. &nbsp;We will just have to wait and see. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>I agree.&nbsp;&nbsp; Test flights are just that.&nbsp; They have have a little to do with final&nbsp;capabilities as the first few shuttle flights had to actual operations.</p><p>cheers</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

N

newsartist

<p>Keep in the back of your mind that they have a "National Day" on October 1, (their timezone).</p><p>That seems to give them two 'weather days', (or mission extensions,) to put recovery at that time. </p><p>It fits.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Keep in the back of your mind that they have a "National Day" on October 1, (their timezone).That seems to give them two 'weather days', (or mission extensions,) to put recovery at that time. It fits. <br />Posted by newsartist</DIV></p><p>Tht is a good point.&nbsp; The national holiday runs for a week, and so it would beagood reason to have the mission finished by then.&nbsp; Mich like arranging shuttle times round the Christmas break.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

O

ozspace

<p>I understand that they plan to have the EVA on the first day in space, doesn't leave any adaptaion time for space sickness. If he throws up out their I assume it's over, and I don' just mean the EVA...</p><p>Although as mentioned by others, there have been other early mission EVAs so I guess they would just make the call depending on how well he (they have not annouced the creww or who is planned to do the EVA) adapts.</p><p>&nbsp;Best of luck to the Chinese crew and for a safe mission.</p><p>&nbsp;<BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Tht is a good point.&nbsp; The national holiday runs for a week, and so it would beagood reason to have the mission finished by then.&nbsp; Mich like arranging shuttle times round the Christmas break.Jon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV><br /></p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts