Shooting star that changes direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

substance

Helloooooo out there!<br /><br />I live in Dublin, Ireland. Tonite at around 1:40am I saw what I thought was a shooting star. It seemed to be travelling slower than usual, I thought I was lucky. As the object travelled throught the sky there was, if I remember correctly, a slight tail, however it started to fade and I continued to watch, then from around where it faded what looked like a satellite caught my attention, it was travelling at a right angle from the line of the shooting star. This satellite dot in the sky was moving much faster than any satellite I was used to. It then sped up and dissapeared. Suffice it to say I was freaked. Then, I saw another shooting star maybe a hands breadth to the west another shooting star appeared and this one also didn't move in a straight line, it kind of followed a curvy line through the sky then fadded away. Please, please someone offer some sort of insight. Thank you. I read another thread from a guy in Toronto, dont know the date, and igorsboss seemed to give some good answers, where are you igor! Thanks to anyone in advance. Oh, the first shooting star was kinda in the southern sky, but my bearings as to NSEW from my house is not exemplary!

S

substance

Thanks Erin - though what I saw wasnt too bright, but seeing that there is this Taurid meteor shower going on, the likelyhood is.... But would the taurid showers be able to change direction, or travel in a line that isn't really straight?<br /><br />Cheers anyone with more answers etc.

E

eric2006

If the object split could one piece travel into another direction? I am not sure. <br /><br />Maybe it is possible that when the object lost it's illuminousity another separate meteor crossed it's tail at another angle? i.e. an optical illusion.....

I

igorsboss

Here I am to save the day! After reviewing all the available evidence, it is my esteemed duty to pronounce the one and only correct and indisputible answer to your quandry: Swamp gas.

I

igorsboss

...or not...<br /><br /><font color="yellow">I live in Dublin, Ireland. Tonite at around 1:40am I saw what I thought was a shooting star. It seemed to be travelling slower than usual, I thought I was lucky. As the object travelled throught the sky there was, if I remember correctly, a slight tail, however it started to fade and I continued to watch, then from around where it faded what looked like a satellite caught my attention, it was travelling at a right angle from the line of the shooting star. This satellite dot in the sky was moving much faster than any satellite I was used to. It then sped up and dissapeared. Suffice it to say I was freaked. Then, I saw another shooting star maybe a hands breadth to the west another shooting star appeared and this one also didn't move in a straight line, it kind of followed a curvy line through the sky then fadded away. Please, please someone offer some sort of insight. Thank you. I read another thread from a guy in Toronto, dont know the date, and igorsboss seemed to give some good answers, where are you igor! Thanks to anyone in advance. Oh, the first shooting star was kinda in the southern sky, but my bearings as to NSEW from my house is not exemplary!</font><br /><br />There's a lot going on in your story. I count at least 3 objects: a,b,c. My guess is: a: aircraft, b: low satellite, and c: aircraft.<br /><br />An object's apparent motion depends on it's actual speed, the angle it is travelling (with respect to your line of sight), and how far away it is.<br /><br />If it is travelling directly towards or away from you, it will appear to stand still, but will appear to get larger or smaller. If you ever see an object appear to stand still except that it gets larger, duck, because it's on a collision course!<br /><br />Objects further away will appear to move slower than near objects. Stars, for example, being very far away, never move (relative to each other).<br /><br />(a) If this was a shooting star, then it must

S

substance

thank you all...,<br /><br />I no longer have a story to tell my grandchildren of my UFO moment, but I am more knowledgable for it! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.