Shooting Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pioneer0333

Hello all, i know it's been a Long time since I've posted here, but my curiousity has not died from space. Anyway, here's my question. About 2 months ago I witnessed a very odd vapor trail in the sky. It was not a plane because I know what a vapor trail left by a plane looks like. It was VERY wide and Very long in length. I think it was a large meteor skiping off the upper atmosphere but the trail was too wide for me to be sure. My question is what could this have been? The trail itself from my best estimate was about 200 to 300ft in width. The trail completely ran the stretch of the sky. It's length was by my best estimates 15 to 30 miles long(wide estimate). The smoke in the trail was more of a "fine" type of smoke. Not thick and lingering as what a plane leaves. Also the trail evaporated in only a couple of minutes, not 5 to 10 minutes like the trail left from planes. Anyway I'm rambling. I just want some theories as to what this could have been. I'm thinking a meteor, but I'm not sure. This has dumbfounded me since I saw the trail. Any and all commemnts are welcome. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hello all, i know it's been a Long time since I've posted here, but my curiousity has not died from space. Anyway, here's my question. About 2 months ago I witnessed a very odd vapor trail in the sky. It was not a plane because I know what a vapor trail left by a plane looks like. It was VERY wide and Very long in length. I think it was a large meteor skiping off the upper atmosphere but the trail was too wide for me to be sure. My question is what could this have been? The trail itself from my best estimate was about 200 to 300ft in width. The trail completely ran the stretch of the sky. It's length was by my best estimates 15 to 30 miles long(wide estimate). The smoke in the trail was more of a "fine" type of smoke. Not thick and lingering as what a plane leaves. Also the trail evaporated in only a couple of minutes, not 5 to 10 minutes like the trail left from planes. Anyway I'm rambling. I just want some theories as to what this could have been. I'm thinking a meteor, but I'm not sure. This has dumbfounded me since I saw the trail. Any and all commemnts are welcome. <br />Posted by pioneer0333</DIV></p><p>Well without knowing how high in the sky it was, you can't really estimate how wide or how long it was.</p><p>If it was at 30,000 feet that woyld be one thing, if it's at meteor height (~ 60 miles) it would have a completely different actual size.</p><p>And there's no way to tell the actual distance.</p><p>Was this daytime or nighttime?</p><p>It still could have been a contrail from a jet; if the air is only marginally moist enough they can sublimate away in seconds minutes, hours or become the sourceof a permanent cirrus cloud.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

P

pioneer0333

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well without knowing how high in the sky it was, you can't really estimate how wide or how long it was.If it was at 30,000 feet that woyld be one thing, if it's at meteor height (~ 60 miles) it would have a completely different actual size.And there's no way to tell the actual distance.Was this daytime or nighttime?It still could have been a contrail from a jet; if the air is only marginally moist enough they can sublimate away in seconds minutes, hours or become the sourceof a permanent cirrus cloud. <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV><br /><br />It was night time and the moon had eluminated the sky farely well. Either way, I'm still dumbfounded by this event. But from what you said(6o miles), i guess it was not a meteor. But the trail was very wide, that's why I ruled out an aircraft. I should have taken a picture now that I think about it. But, I now have a camera just for these kinds of events, so the next time I'll be ready to snap a shot of any phenomenon I encounter. Anyway, thanks for your input. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It was night time and the moon had eluminated the sky farely well. Either way, I'm still dumbfounded by this event. But from what you said(6o miles), i guess it was not a meteor. But the trail was very wide, that's why I ruled out an aircraft. I should have taken a picture now that I think about it. But, I now have a camera just for these kinds of events, so the next time I'll be ready to snap a shot of any phenomenon I encounter. Anyway, thanks for your input. <br />Posted by pioneer0333</DIV></p><p>A contrail is the most likely explanation. The moon lights them up just as the sun does, and if you are dark adapted, they are easy to see. I use them as a rough measurement of how dry the upper sky is above me when meteor observing. I use a flashlight shining upward to judge low level moisture. This helps me understand how dark the sky should be. If it's at the point where contrails persist for dozens of minutes, I won't be observing too long. But it they sublimate away within a minute, I still have more time to go before I have to give up. And in my area of the US, there's always an aircraft up there providing a test :)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts