Should I buy a Nexstar 130 SLT or a Star Hoc 6" Reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jerryaa

I’m getting ready to buy my first telescope. I’ve got a budget of around $400. I’m looking at the Nexstar 130 SLT (if Celestron will ever start shipping the SLTs) or the Star Hoc 6” reflector. If do get the Star Hoc, then I will also purchase a RA electronic drive for hands free tracking.<br /><br />From what I’ve read, I should probably be getting a 6” DOB. What has kept me away from a DOB is the size (portability) and I guess if you purchase the standard setup, it doesn’t come with a motorized mount.<br /><br />What seems attractive about the 130 SLT is the Go to capabilities. The idea of finding objects through a laptop (serial adapter) seems pretty cool too. It has the biggest aperture of all the SLT scopes and I read that it has a short focus parabolic mirror instead of the spherical mirror which is better. But then, is this still considered a “cheap goto” scope?<br /><br />Here the links to theses scopes. Anybody has an opinion on them?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Star Hoc 6”<br />http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-1469288697390/6sthocre.html<br /><br />130 SLT<br />http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/nx130slt.htm<br />

B

bbrock

Jerryaa<br /><br />Both scopes appear to be good quality equipment. I'm not familiar with Star Hoc, Celestron is good equipment. <br />Assuming quality to be equal, then we can only revert to the " Standing Rule of Thumb". Go with the largest aperture you can afford and transport, which is the Star Hoc 6". <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

N

nevers

I've heard that type of mount that comes with the Celestron will not work in a "manual" setting if the power dies. Plus no option for astrophotography.

J

jerryaa

I saw that it was on sale from that site. They have great prices from what I can tell. They were having a close out sale on a 6" DOB not too long ago for $99. <br /><br />Thanks for everybody's input. I decided to go with the safe route for my first scope and got a 6" DOB from Orion with Intelliscope.

B

bbrock

This is a smart choice. You did good. You will find the 6" Dob easy to use and explore the sky. When you decide to move up to an Equatorial Mount, you can buy the Orion SkyView Mount and mounting rings for a 6" tube and mount the 6" reflector tube on the SkyView. Then you will have a Dob and EQ telescope in one scope tube. The Scope would look like the Orion SkyView Pro 6LT EQ Reflector. You might have to remove the Dob mounting hubs, but I did this with the 10" Dob and I didn't need to take the hubs off. <br /><br />Clear Skies<br />Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.