Shuttle launch to orbit events

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

orlandodude

Urgent rtequest -<br /><br />Anybody know where the/a Launch to Orbit sequence of events is located, please?<br /><br />I found this countdown to launch -<br />http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/countdown/count.html<br /><br /><br />Need this for STS-117 launch.<br /><br />Mega Urgent.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Urgent request<br /><br />OD<br />

L

lampblack

But he was looking for a breakdown of what happens from launch to orbit, I think? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

O

ozspace

Hey SG,<br /><br />Facinating document, are you able to say which console/row that you work? I see the various acronyms and positions, for example:<br />-----------------------------------------------------<br />Firing Room Row AB <br /><br />Console Row AB -- KSC/NASA and Contractor <br /><br />Positions AB1, AB2 -- Support Test Manager (call sign STM). The STM at position AB1 conducts and integrates all Launch Complex 39 ground support operations at Kennedy Space Center. <br /><br />AB3, AB4 -- Orbiter Test Conductor Prime (OTC). The OTC Prime stationed at position AB4 conducts and integrates all orbiter testing activities required in preparation for flight. This is the senior contractor representative on the Shuttle test team. The Alternate OTC supports the OTC Prime, just as the Assistant Launch Director supports the Launch Director. All top critical management positions have an alternate. <br /><br />AB5 -- NASA Test Director (NTD). Leader of the Shuttle test team responsible for directing and integrating all flight crew, orbiter, external tank/solid rocket booster and ground support testing in the Shuttle launch countdown. Responsible for the safety of all personnel inside the pad after external tank loading, including the flight crew. Reports to the Launch Director. <br /><br />AB6 -- Alternate NTD (ATD). Similar to Alternate OTC. In addition, the Alternate NTD keeps track of the timeline for the NTD and works any red crew issues that arise. AB7 -- Chief NTD (CNTD). Provides expert advice to the Launch Director, NASA Test Director and Landing and Recovery Director. The Chief NTD will have previously served as the NASA Test Director for numerous launches. <br /><br />AB8, AB8A -- Landing and Recovery Director (LRD). Directs all Kennedy landing operations, including the Return-to-Launch Site and nominal end-of-mission (EOM) landings. The Alternate LRD supports the LRD. <br />-----------------------------------------------------<br />There are many others that I haven't put in, d

O

orlandodude

Yes, looking for series of events.<br /><br />Roll Programme<br /><br />SRB sep<br /><br />Calls for various alternate landings<br /><br />etc etc.<br /><br />Really urgent - need before STS-117 launch<br /><br />HELP<br /><br />

B

bobw

My favorite place for info about the Shuttle is here:<br /><br />http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/stsref-toc.html<br /><br />Many of the sections about individual systems have a timeline.<br /><br />Concerning the roll program... the section called "MISSION EVENTS SUMMARY" says:<br /><br />First-stage ascent extends from SRB ignition through SRB separation, or SRB staging. The sequence of major guidance, navigation and control events proceeds as folllows: The vehicle lifts off the pad 0.3 second after SRB ignition, rising vertically in attitude hold until the SRBs' nozzles clear the lightning rod tower by approximately 41 feet. The vehicle begins a combined roll, pitch and yaw maneuver that positions the orbiter head down, with wings level and aligned with the launch pad. The orbiter flies upside down during the ascent phase. This orientation, together with trajectory shaping, establishes a trim angle of attack that is favorable for aerodynamic loads during the region of high dynamic pressure, resulting in a net positive load factor, as well as providing the flight crew with use of the ground as a visual reference. By about 20 seconds after lift-off, the vehicle is at 180 degrees roll and 78 degrees pitch.<br /><br />http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/sts_mes.html#sts_mes<br /><br />I hope that is something like what you are looking for. If you find any more detailed information be sure to post a link so we all can see it!<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

lampblack

Well, here's one of Bill Harwood's summaries, which includes (towards the bottom) a reasonably detailed breakdown of events from launch to orbit. This one is even based on the assumption that the shuttle launches today on time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

That's a nice table at the end. <br /><br />I would expect it's what the OP is looking for. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

That's really nice! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

O

orlandodude

Thanks guys...<br /><br />Great work.<br /><br />Here's to 117!<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />OM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts