Shuttle -Night Launches

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lunaseajim

Any guesses as to when there would be a scheduled night launch? <br /><br />I was lucky to get causeway tickets for STS-117 and would like to take my next 2,000 mile drive for a night launch.

B

bpcooper

Currently they are both in the afternoon:<br /><br />http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html<br /><br />..but one slip and they can be night. The chances of there not being several more are slim considering they are all ISS and HST.<br /><br />For some reason there are a lot of people under the impression via a rumor that 116 was the last night launch. I've found several websites saying "I saw the last ever night launch at 116," and a recent email to me asking if it's true or not. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-Ben</p> </div>

B

bdewoody

it seems that somewhere, probably here I read that night launches would not be scheduled due to the need to observe every detail of the launch to verify no damage being done to the heat shield tiles. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

That requirement is no longer necessary due to the superb performance of the ET rework and has been dropped. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobblebob

I like evening/night launches as it works out well regarding time difference in the UK. Also get to see the EVA's live

R

rocketwatcher2001

My favorite time for a launch is a few minutes before dawn, the sky is just begining to brighten, but it's dark on the ground, except for the floodlit launch pad. Then the main engines start, which seem to pulse because of the steam cloud from the water sound suppression system, and then the SRB's kick in and the steam cloud lights up a lot more, as the stack climbs out of the cloud, the SRB's are almost blinding. As it climbs out the sun starts to slowly light up the smoke trail as the ship rises to higher altitude. The best is when it's lit by the sun at SRB seperation and the smoke trail is white at altitude and darkens from white to pink to red to purple closer to the earth.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bdewoody

I'm glad to hear this. Living in central Florida I have witnessed up close several of the night launches and they are spectacular. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts