Slingshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scipt

I wondered - If you slingshot around the Sun, does the energy come at the cost of decreasing the Sun's rotation around the galaxy. Futhermore, does the entire universe have a libration point where all forces are balanced (a centre of sorts). I guess if it's curved like a ballon that doesn't apply. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

well, if you were to use the sun's motion around the galaxy as a basis for the slingshot...then yes, it would effect the Suns galactic motion. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

derekmcd

A gravity assist around the sun does affect it, though it depends on the approach. Although statistically insignificant in relation to the Sun, linear momentum is transferred. The spacecraft either takes from (if it needs to accelerate) or gives to (if it needs to decelerate) the sun a small amount of linear momentum.<br /><br />As for a single libration point in the Universe... That's a good question. If you subscribe to the theory that the Universe is a closed, finite system, then there would have to be one. In the balloon analogy, there are infinite perceptions of being the center. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts