slow moving light last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

latink77

I don't consider myself a fanatic but find I fascinating to observe events that we don't often see in the sky. This morning I woke up at 4:30 am to see the meteor shower (I live in Miami, FL) At around 5:30 am I saw what looked just like a star (not too bright, same average distance, same color, same size to the naked eye) moving at a slow speed across the sky. It didn't have a trail, no blinking lights or odd movement just a straight direction from west to east. For a moment I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me since I had been staring at the sky for so long. I looked away and was able to track it until it faded in the eastern sky. I got to see another light similar light around 5 minutes later. Was this part of the meteor shower, if so what is it?

M

markj_87

It was probably an iridium flare. Certain satellites have highly reflective parts that reflect sunlight at us after sunset and before sunrise. I saw one myself at around the same time when I was watching the shower the morning before last. Certain websites like www.heavens-above.com allow you to predict and see iridium flares from your location. Try it!<br /><br />Did you see much activity from the shower, by the way?

L

latink77

Thank you!, now I feel better.<br />As far as the meteor shower I was a bit disappointed because of the one I saw like two years ago which was definitely more active. I hear that tonight is supposed to be more active than last night. Either way I had a great time.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts