Smoke cloud in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

odium

I was out camping with a few friends about 2 weeks ago. We were out past Seymour in a little place called Murchison, out side of Melbourne Victoria. We had the fire going, drinking and what not, when I looked up and noticed a “smoke cloud†just sitting there in space. At first I thought it was smoke from the campfire but when it wasn’t moving with the wind like the camp fire smoke was I then realized that it must be outside our atmosphere, in space basically. <br /><br />Was this Comet Holmes exploding? Or something else? I’ve been reading something about a smoke cloud seen over Africa, I live in Australia so I don’t know what the hell is going on?<br />

P

pyoko

When/ where was it in the sky? People can use StaryNight program to pinpoint possibilities if you give them information.<br /><br />Also, was the cloud 'luminous', or just smoky? Could it have been a high altitude cloud with very little wind?<br /><br />The comet comes to mind, but I don't think it's supposed to be visible as a cloud unless you look through binoculars or something. It's just supposed to have gotten extremely brighter. <br /><br />By the way is that a good place to camp? Like with tents etc? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

O

odium

I couldn't say what direction it was in but it was not to low but not centre high either. <br /><br />The cloud pretty much looked like a patch of smoke from our own fire but there was a nice little wind blowing the smoke away from us but this cloud just remained in the night sky. I could see the stars clearly as well. But not within the cloud. or I don't remember seeing any in the cloud.<br /><br />I could see what ever it was clear as the night sky would let me see, again it just looked like a cloud of smoke, trapped in space.<br /><br /><br />I had my camera as well but didn't take any photos of that particular cloud. Looking back I wish I did! Dam it, anyway here are some pics, actually this first one, if it were night, the cloud would have been above the tree tops, but you can’t see what direction it is or even the sky.<br /><br />http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2317/1895887562_aae8da21ea.jpg?v=0<br /><br />In this second pic, the cloud would have been off to the right and again above the treetops. <br /><br />http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2280/1885996620_bc3baf619f.jpg?v=0<br /> <br />This pic is the same as the 2nd but during the day.<br /><br />http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/1941535226_f9151b5fd0.jpg?v=0<br />

O

origin

I think you are in the wrong hemisphere for holmes.<br /><br />Sounds like you were maybe looking at the LMC? or a cloud. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

U

usn_skwerl

could it have been the milky way? it kind of resembles a cloud.... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

O

odium

Hehe no way, I know what you mean but it was way to small to be the Milky Way. Just a cloud in space, I'm sure this will be seen and photographed soon, I just wish I was more aware that night to take a photo.

P

pyoko

It can be windy on the ground and very quiet up high. Could be what happened. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Could be the Large or Small Magellanic clouds, Omega Centauri, The Beehive; lots of possibilities. <br />Without knowing what part of the sky it was in, it's impossible to speculate. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts